Griggs County, North Dakota Genealogy Guide
|Other ND Resources|
| ND Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
ND Ancestor Records
ND Military Databases
ND Data Collections
ND Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Griggs County, North Dakota (Map It) was created on February 18, 1881 from Foster County, Burbank County, Traill County. The county was named in honor of Alexander Griggs, a steamboat captain and founder of Grand Forks, North Dakota. Learn More About State of North Dakota History.
Griggs County Cities and Towns include Binford, Cooperstown, Hannaford.
Griggs County Townships include Addie, Ball Hill, Bartley, Broadview, Bryan, Clearfield, Cooperstown, Dover, Greenfield, Helena, Jessie, Kingsley, Lenora, Mabel, Pilot Mound, Romness, Rosendal, Sverdrup, Tyrol, Walum, Washburn, Willow. A Map of Griggs County, North Dakota contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Griggs County, North Dakota Courthouse Records
Griggs County, ND Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Griggs county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered. Some records have been transferred to the State Archives and Historical Research Library.
- Griggs County Register of Deeds / Recorder has Land Records from 1881. The County Register of Deeds / Recorder keeps a record of each patent, deed, mortgage, bill of sale and any document related to these transactions, insuring a permanent record of property ownership; Copies of divorce records.
- Griggs County Clerk of Courts has Marriage Records from 1883, Probate Records from 1881 and Court Records from 1881. The County Clerk of Courts responsibilities include issuing Marriage Licenses and filing of Civil, Probate, Small Claims, Criminal Cases and Child Support Court Documents.
Griggs County, North Dakota Census Records
- Learn More: State of North Dakota Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Indian Census Records: 1885-1940, Eastern Cherokee - 1908-1910
- Territorial and State Censuses: 1885, 1915, 1925
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Griggs County, North Dakota Vital Records
- Learn More: State of North Dakota Vital Records
- Birth Records: from 1870 to present. The years 1870 to 1920 are incomplete.
- Marriage Records: from June 1958 to present
- Death Records: from 1893 to present. Years from 1894 to 1920 are incomplete.
- Locations: North Dakota Division of Vital Records
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate or Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: ND Department of Health, Division of Vital Records, 600 East Boulevard Avenue, Dept. 301, Bismarck, ND 58505-0200
Griggs County, North Dakota Resources
- Griggs County Historical Society
- Ronald Reagan Minuteman Missile State Historic Site, c/o Johnathan Campbell, 612 East Boulevard Ave., Bismarck, ND 58501, 701-328-2666
- Griggs County, North Dakota Message Boards
- Griggs County, North Dakota Genealogy Forum read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Griggs County