Sullivan County, New Hampshire Genealogy Guide
|Other NH Resources|
| NH Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
NH Ancestor Records
NH Military Databases
NH Data Collections
NH Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Sullivan County, New Hampshire (Map It) was created on July 5, 1827 from Cheshire County. The county was named in honor of John Sullivan (1740-1795), the third and fifth governor of New Hampshire (1786-1788, 1789-1790). Learn More About State of New Hampshire History
Sullivan County is bordered by Grafton County (north), Merrimack County (east), Hillsborough County (southeast), Cheshire County (south), Windham County, Vermont (southwest) and Windsor County, Vermont (west).
Sullivan County Cities and Towns include Acworth, Charlestown, Claremont, Cornish, Croydon, Goshen, Grantham, Langdon, Lempster, Newport, Plainfield, Springfield, Sunapee, Unity, Washington.
Sullivan County, New Hampshire Courthouse Records
Sullivan County, NH Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Sullivan county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered. Early deeds were damaged by fire. A separate series of “burned deeds,” consisting of copies of surviving portions of the burned volumes with a separate index, is at the registry.
- Sullivan County Clerk of Superior Court has Court Records from 1827
- Sullivan County Clerk of Probate Court has Probate Records from 1827
- Sullivan County Register of Deeds has Land Records from 1827. The County Register of Deeds responsibilities include Recording documents pertaining to real estate transactions, Recording land surveys, Copying and certifying as to these recorded real estate documents, Serving as custodian for other miscellaneous legal records such as Power of Attorneys, tax liens from towns/cities, boundary line agreements, IRS notices, etc.
- Sullivan County Town Clerks has copies of vital records (birth, marriage, divorce and death records) from 1827.
Sullivan County, New Hampshire Census Records
- Learn More: State of New Hampshire Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Sullivan County, New Hampshire Vital Records
- Learn More: State of New Hampshire Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage and Death Records: from 1640 to present
- Divorce Records: from 1808 to present
- Locations: New Hampshire Office of Vital Statistics
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Bureau of Vital Records, 71 South Fruit St, Concord, NH 03301; (800) 852-3345 Ext 4651, or in NH – (603) 271-4650
Sullivan County, New Hampshire Resources
- Acworth Historical Society, PO Box 37, South Acworth , NH 03607-0037
- Charlestown Historical Society, PO Box 159, Charlestown , NH 03603-0159; Phone: 603-826-9726
- Claremont Historical Society and Museum
- Cornish Historical Society, 26 Schoolhouse Road, Cornish, NH 03745; Phone:(603) 542-3141
- Croydon Historical Society
- Fort at #4 Association
- Goshen Historical Society, c/o Ethel Nilson, President, 769 Washington Rd, Goshen , NH 03752-3522; Phone: 603-863-8831
- Grantham Historical Society
- Lempster Historical Society
- Newport Historical Society
- Plainfield Historical Society
- Saint-Gaudens National Historic Site
- Springfield Historical Society
- Sunapee NH Historical Society
- Unity Historical Society
- Washington Historical Society
- Sullivan County, New Hampshire Message Boards
- Sullivan County, New Hampshire Genealogy Forum