Hillsborough County, New Hampshire Records
Hillsborough County, New Hampshire (Map It) was created on March 19, 1771 as one of the five original counties identified for New Hampshire in 1769. The county was organized at Amherst on March 19, 1771. In 1823 a number of towns were removed to become part of Merrimack County. Over several years ending in 1869, county administrative functions were moved from Amherst to the current seats of Manchester and Nashua. The county was named in honor of Wills Hill, 1st Marquess of Downshire (1718-1793), known in America as the Earl of Hillsborough, who served as the first Secretary of State for the Colonies.
Hillsborough County is bordered by Sullivan County (northwest), Cheshire County (west), Worcester County, Massachusetts (southwest), Middlesex County, Massachusetts (south), Essex County, Massachusetts (southeast), Rockingham County (east), Merrimack County (north).
Hillsborough County Cities and Towns include Amherst, Antrim, Bedford, Bennington, Brookline, Deering, Francestown, Goffstown , Greenfield, Greenville, Hancock, Hillsborough, Hollis, Hudson, Litchfield, Lyndeborough, Manchester, Mason, Merrimack , Milford, Mont Vernon, Nashua, New Boston, New Ipswich, Pelham, Peterborough , Sharon, Temple, Weare, Wilton, Windsor.
Hillsborough County, New Hampshire Courthouse Records
Hillsborough County, NH Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Hillsborough county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Hillsborough County Clerk of Superior Court has Court Records from 1773
- Hillsborough County Clerk of Probate Court has Probate Records from 1773 There is a published index to the 1771-1884 probates.
- Hillsborough County Register of Deeds has Land Records from 1773. The County Register of Deeds responsibilities include Recording documents pertaining to real estate transactions, Recording land surveys, Copying and certifying as to these recorded real estate documents, Serving as custodian for other miscellaneous legal records such as Power of Attorneys, tax liens from towns/cities, boundary line agreements, IRS notices, etc.
- Hillsborough County Town Clerks has copies of vital records (birth, marriage, divorce and death records) from 1771.
Hillsborough County, New Hampshire Census Records
- Learn More: State of New Hampshire Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Hillsborough County, New Hampshire Vital Records
- Learn More: State of New Hampshire Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage and Death Records: from 1640 to present
- Divorce Records: from 1808 to present
- Locations: New Hampshire Office of Vital Statistics
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Bureau of Vital Records, 71 South Fruit St, Concord, NH 03301; (800) 852-3345 Ext 4651, or in NH – (603) 271-4650
Hillsborough County, New Hampshire Resources
- Antrim Historical Society
- Bedford Historical Society
- Bennington Historical Society
- Brookline Historical Society
- Diocesan Museum, Phone: 603-624-1729 153 Ash St # 310, Manchester , NH 03104-4348
- Francestown Improvement & Historical Society
- Franco-American Centre
- Goffstown Historical Society,
- Greenfield NH Historical Society
- Greenville Historical Society
- Hancock Historical Society
- Hillsborough Heritage Museum
- Hillsborough Historical Society
- Historical Society of Amherst, NH
- Hollis Historical Society
- Hudson Historical Society
- Litchfield Historical Society, 168 Charles Bancroft Hwy, Litchfield , NH 03052-2467
- Lyndeborough Historical Society, Phone: 603-654-9054 1325 Center Rd, Lyndeborough , NH 03082-6111
- Manchester Historic Association
- Mason Historical Society
- Merrimack Historical Society
- Milford Historical Society
- Mont Vernon Historical Society, Phone: 603-673-2886 PO Box 15, Mont Vernon , NH 03057
- New Boston Historical Society
- New Ipswich Historical Society
- Pelham Historical Society
- Peterborough Historical Society
- Temple Historical Society
- The Nashua Historical Society
- Weare Historical Society
- Wilton Historical Society
- Hillsborough County, New Hampshire Message Boards
- Hillsborough County, New Hampshire Genealogy Forum
Hillsborough County, New Hampshire External Links
- Historical Newspapers from New Hampshire (1756–1891)
- Hillsborough County, New Hampshire Books - Amazon
- Hillsborough Co., New Hampshire - FindaGrave
- Hillsborough County, New Hampshire Links - Cyndi's List
- Hillsborough Co. NHGenweb
- Hillsborough County, New Hampshire Ancestry Database Collections
- Hillsborough County, New Hampshire Military Records
- New Hampshire City Directories