Rowan County, Kentucky Genealogy Guide
|Other KY Resources|
| KY Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
KY Ancestor Records
KY Military Databases
KY Data Collections
KY Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Rowan County, Kentucky (Map It) was created on May 1, 1856 from Fleming County and Morgan County. The county was named in honor of John Rowan, Congressman from Kentucky (1809–1811; 1825–1831) . Learn More About State of Kentucky History
Rowan County Cities and Towns include Lakeview Heights, Morehead, Clearfield, Farmers, Elliotville, Haldeman, Sharkey.
A Map of Rowan County, Kentucky contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Rowan County, Kentucky Courthouse Records
Rowan County, KY Courthouse
The Rowan County Courthouse is located in Morehead, Kentucky. Courthouse fires on 21 Mar 1864 and in the 1890s destroyed many records. Learn More About State of Kentucky Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Rowan county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Rowand County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1880, Land Records from 1866 and Probate Records from 1853 - Will/Probate Record Request Form. The County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records, Probate records and Marriage Liscenses.
- Rowan County Clerk of the Circuit Court has Court Records from 1880. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Rowan County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Rowan County Elected Officials
Rowan County, Kentucky Census Records
- Learn More: State of Kentucky Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Census Substitutes Index, 1810-1890
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Rowan County, Kentucky Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Kentucky Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1911 to present
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from June 1958 to present
- Locations: Kentucky Office of Vital Statistics, Kentucky State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage or Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Office of Vital Statistics, Department for Public Health, Cabinet for Health and Family Services, 275 E. Main St., 1E-A, Frankfort, KY 40621.
Rowan County, Kentucky Resources
- Rowan County Historical Society
- Rowan County, Kentucky Message Boards
- Rowan County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum
- Rowan County, Kentucky Mailing lists