Powell County, Kentucky Genealogy Guide
|Other KY Resources|
| KY Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
KY Ancestor Records
KY Military Databases
KY Data Collections
KY Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Powell County, Kentucky (Map It) was created on January 7, 1852 from Clark County, Estill County and Montgomery County. The county was named in honor of Lazarus Whitehead Powell, nineteenth Governor of Kentucky (1851–1855) . Learn More About State of Kentucky History
Powell County Cities and Towns include Clay City, Stanton, Slade.
A Map of Powell County, Kentucky contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Powell County, Kentucky Courthouse Records
Powell County, KY Courthouse
The Powell County Courthouse is located in Stanton, Kentucky. The courthouse was burned by guerrillas in the Spring of 1863, and the jail was burned in 1864. Records were lost in both fires. Learn More About State of Kentucky Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Powell county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Powelld County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1852, Land Records from 1864 and Probate Records from 1864 - Will/Probate Record Request Form. The County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records, Probate records and Marriage Liscenses.
- Powell County Clerk of the Circuit Court has Court Records from 1864. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Powell County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Powell County Elected Officials
Powell County, Kentucky Census Records
- Learn More: State of Kentucky Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Census Substitutes Index, 1810-1890
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Powell County, Kentucky Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Kentucky Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1911 to present
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from June 1958 to present
- Locations: Kentucky Office of Vital Statistics, Kentucky State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage or Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Office of Vital Statistics, Department for Public Health, Cabinet for Health and Family Services, 275 E. Main St., 1E-A, Frankfort, KY 40621.
Powell County, Kentucky Resources
- Red River Historical Society
- Powell County Public Library
- Powell County, Kentucky Message Boards
- Powell County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum
- Powell County, Kentucky Mailing lists
Powell County, Kentucky External Links
- Kentucky Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Powell County, Kentucky Books - Amazon
- Kentucky Vital Records Index
- Powell Co., Kentucky - FindaGrave
- Kentucky Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Benjamin & Priscilla Martin of Montgomery & Powell Co, KY
- Powell County, KY History - The Kentucky Encyclopedia