Nelson County, Kentucky Records
Nelson County is bordered by Spencer County (north), Anderson County (northeast), Washington County (east), Marion County (southeast), LaRue County (south), Hardin County (west), Bullitt County (northwest).
Nelson County Cities and Towns include Bardstown, Bloomfield, Fairfield, New Haven, New Hope.
A Map of Nelson County, Kentucky contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Nelson County, Kentucky Courthouse Records
Nelson County, KY Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Nelson county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Nelson County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1785, Land Records from 1784 and Probate Records from 1785 - Will/Probate Record Request Form. The County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records, Probate records and Marriage Liscenses.
- Nelson County Clerk of the Circuit Court has Court Records from 1785. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Nelson County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Nelson County Elected Officials
Nelson County, Kentucky Census Records
- Learn More: State of Kentucky Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790 (missing), 1800 (missing), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820, Census Substitutes Index, 1810-1890
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Nelson County, Kentucky Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Kentucky Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1911 to present
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from June 1958 to present
- Locations: Kentucky Office of Vital Statistics, Kentucky State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage or Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Office of Vital Statistics, Department for Public Health, Cabinet for Health and Family Services, 275 E. Main St., 1E-A, Frankfort, KY 40621.
Nelson County, Kentucky Resources
- Nelson County Genealogical Roundtable
- Nelson County Public Library
- Ancestral Trails Historical Society
- Nelson County, Kentucky Message Boards
Nelson County, Kentucky External Links
- Kentucky Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Nelson County, Kentucky Books - Amazon
- Nelson County, Kentucky Marriage Records, 1785-1815 (search.ancestry.com)
- Kentucky Vital Records Index
- Nelson Co., Kentucky - FindaGrave
- Kentucky Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Nelson County, KY History - The Kentucky Encyclopedia
- Nelson County, Kentucky Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Kentucky (1794-1922)
- Nelson Co. KYGenweb
- Nelson County, Kentucky Ancestry Database Collections
- Confederate Soldiers from Nelson County Kentucky
- Nelson County, Kentucky Military Records