Knott County, Kentucky Genealogy Guide
|Other KY Resources|
| KY Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
KY Ancestor Records
KY Military Databases
KY Data Collections
KY Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Knott County, Kentucky (Map It) was created on May 5, 1884 from Perry County, Breathitt County, Floyd County and Letcher County. The county was named in honor of James Proctor Knott, twenty-ninth Governor of Kentucky (1883–1887). Learn More About State of Kentucky History
Knott County Cities and Towns include Hindman, Pippa Passes, Hollybush.
A Map of Knott County, Kentucky contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Knott County, Kentucky Courthouse Records
Knott County, KY Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Knott county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Knott County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1884, Land Records from 1883 and Probate Records from 1891 - Will/Probate Record Request Form. The County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records, Probate records and Marriage Liscenses.
- Knott County Clerk of the Circuit Court has Court Records from 1888. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Knott County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Knott County Elected Officials
Knott County, Kentucky Census Records
- Learn More: State of Kentucky Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Census Substitutes Index, 1810-1890
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: None
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Knott County, Kentucky Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Kentucky Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1911 to present
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from June 1958 to present
- Locations: Kentucky Office of Vital Statistics, Kentucky State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage or Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Office of Vital Statistics, Department for Public Health, Cabinet for Health and Family Services, 275 E. Main St., 1E-A, Frankfort, KY 40621.
Knott County, Kentucky Resources
- Knott County Historical & Genealogical Society, Library & Musuem, Inc., 147 Carew Drive Hindman, KY 41822-8657; (606) 785-5751;
- Knott County Historical Society
- Knott County, Kentucky Message Boards
- Knott County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum
- Knott County, Kentucky Mailing lists