Breathitt County, Kentucky Records
Breathitt County, Kentucky (Map It) was created on February 8, 1839 from Clay County, Estill County and Perry County. The county was named in honor of John Breathitt, eleventh Governor of Kentucky (1832–1834) .
Breathitt County Cities and Towns include Jackson.
A Map of Breathitt County, Kentucky contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Breathitt County, Kentucky Courthouse Records
Breathitt County, KY Courthouse
The Breathitt County Courthouse is located in Jackson, Kentucky. The courthouse or the jail was burned during the Civil War by Confederate troops. A fire in 1873 destroyed most of the county's records. Learn More About State of Kentucky Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Breathitt county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Breathittd County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1852, Land Records from 1873 and Probate Records from 1873 - Will/Probate Record Request Form. The County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records, Probate records and Marriage Liscenses.
- Breathitt County Clerk of the Circuit Court has Court Records from 1838. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Breathitt County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Breathitt County Elected Officials
Breathitt County, Kentucky Census Records
- Learn More: State of Kentucky Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Census Substitutes Index, 1810-1890
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Breathitt County, Kentucky Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Kentucky Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1911 to present
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from June 1958 to present
- Locations: Kentucky Office of Vital Statistics, Kentucky State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage or Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Office of Vital Statistics, Department for Public Health, Cabinet for Health and Family Services, 275 E. Main St., 1E-A, Frankfort, KY 40621.
Breathitt County, Kentucky Resources
- Breathitt Co Historical & Genealogical Society, Breathitt Co Public Library, 1024 College Ave, Jackson, KY 41339
- Breathitt County Public Library
- Breathitt County Museum
- Breathitt County, Kentucky Message Boards
Breathitt County, Kentucky External Links
- Kentucky Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Breathitt County, Kentucky Books - Amazon
- Kentucky Vital Records Index
- Breathitt Co., Kentucky - FindaGrave
- Kentucky Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- The Stampers Family Project
- Breathitt County, KY History - The Kentucky Encyclopedia
- Breathitt County, Kentucky Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Kentucky (1794-1922)
- Breathitt Co. KYGenweb
- Breathitt County, Kentucky Ancestry Database Collections
- Breathitt County, Kentucky Military Records