Pinellas County, Florida Genealogy Guide
|Other FL Resources|
| FL Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
FL Ancestor Records
FL Military Databases
FL Data Collections
FL Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Pinellas County, Florida (Map It) was created on May 23, 1911 from Hillsborough County. Pinellas County was named for the Spanish Punta Piñal, or "Point of Pines". Learn More About State of Florida History
Pinellas County Cities and Towns include Belleair, Belleair Beach, Belleair Bluffs, Belleair Shore, Clearwater, Dunedin, Gulfport, Indian Rocks Beach, Indian Shores, Kenneth City, Largo, Madeira Beach, North Redington Beach, Oldsmar, Pinellas Park, Redington Beach, Redington Shores, Safety Harbor, Seminole, South Pasadena, St. Pete Beach, St. Petersburg, Tarpon Springs, Treasure Island.
A Map of Pinellas County, Florida contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Pinellas Co. Historical Events:
- This region was visited by early Spanish explorers but had no white settlements until after the Seminole Wars. Once begun, the steady stream of immigrants increased until the present century when it leaped 1200 percent in forty years.
- Tarpon Springs is the center of Florida's great sponge fishing industry, and St. Petersburg is the greatest west-coast tourist city in the state.
- Pamphilo de Narvaez at the head of 300 Spaniard landed in vicinity of St. Petersburg in April, 1528.
Pinellas County, Florida Courthouse Records
Pinellas County, FL Courthouse
Old Pinellas County Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Pinellas county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Pinellas County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1912, Land Records from 1911, Probate Records from 1911 and Court Records from 1911. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Pinellas County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Pinellas County Health Department has copies of Birth & Death certificates. Also has computer access from 1917 to present for birth records for the entire state as well as births that occurred in this county.
Pinellas County, Florida Census Records
- Learn More: State of Florida Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: None
- State Population Schedules: 1867-1945
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: None
- Union Veterans Schedules: None
Pinellas County, Florida Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Florida Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from June 6, 1927 to present.
- Death Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Locations: Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 210, 1217 Pearl Street (Zip 32202), Jacksonville, FL 32231-0042; PH (904) 359-6900 Ext. 1029.
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Pinellas County, Florida Resources
- State of Florida Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Florida
- Pinellas County Historical Society
- Pinellas Genealogical Society
- Clearwater Historical Society
- Dunedin Historical Society
- Gulfport Historical Society
- Largo Area Historical Society
- St. Petersburg Historical Society, 334 Second Ave. NE, St. Petersburg, FL 33701
- Tarpon Springs Area Historical Society
- Pinellas County, Florida Message Boards
- Pinellas County, Florida Genealogy Forum
- Pinellas County, Florida Mailing lists