Price County, Wisconsin Genealogy Guide
|Other WI Resources|
| WI Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
WI Ancestor Records
WI Military Databases
WI Data Collections
WI Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Price County, Wisconsin (Map It) was created on February 26, 1879 from Chippewa County and Lincoln County. The county was named in honor of William T. Price, president of the Wisconsin Senate. Learn More About State of Wisconsin History
Price County is bordered by Ashland County (northwest), Iron County (northeast), Vilas County (northeast), Oneida County (east), Lincoln County (southeast), Taylor County (south), Rusk County (west), Sawyer County (west).
Price County Cities, Towns and Villiages include Park Falls, Phillips, Catawba, Eisenstein, Elk, Emery, Fifield, Flambeau, Georgetown, Hackett, Harmony, Hill, Kennan, Knox, Lake, Ogema, Prentice, Spirit, Worcester, Catawba, Kennan, Prentice.
A Map of Price County, Wisconsin contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Price County, Wisconsin Courthouse Records
Price County, WI Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
It has been estimated that less than 50 percent of the vital records, for example, were prepared and submitted for permanent filing prior to 1907. Land deeds, probate, and court records generally begin in Wisconsin with the organization of the county. Prior to that date, check the County or Counties it was created from. Some counties formed from other counties transcribed their portion of property deeds to be kept with the new county deed records. Price County was attached to Taylor County for judicial purposes from 1879–82. Some early records may be found there.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Price county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Price County Register of Deeds has Birth Records from 1880, Marriage Records from 1880, Death Records from 1879 and Land Records from 1882. The purpose of the Register of Deeds is to provide official record keeping for Records or files land record documents authorized by law, such as deeds, mortgages, satisfactions, certified survey maps, plats and Federal Tax liens. Files and indexes Birth, Death and Marriage records, Military Discharges, and issues certified copies upon request.
- Price County Register in Probate Office
- Probate Records: 1881
- Price County Clerk of Court Office has Court Records from 1892?. The Clerk of Court Office is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- Price County Treasurers Office collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
Price County, Wisconsin Census Records
- Learn More: State of Wisconsin Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Population Schedules: 1885, 1895, 1905
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Price County, Wisconsin Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Wisconsin Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage,Divorce and Death Records: from October 1, 1907. State Office has scattered records earlier than 1857 and records before 1907, are very incomplete.
- Locations: Wisconsin Office of Vital Statistics, Wisconsin State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Wisconsin Vital Records Office, 1 West Wilson Street, Room 160, Madison, WI 53703
Price County, Wisconsin Resources
- Area Research Center - Wisconsin Historical Society History Center and Archives
- Jump River Valley Historical Society
- Knox Creek Heritage Center
- Price County Genealogical Society
- Price County Historical Society
- Price County, Wisconsin Message Boards
- Price County, Wisconsin Genealogy Forum