Ozaukee County, Wisconsin Genealogy Guide
Ozaukee County Cities, Towns and Villiages include Cedarburg, Mequon, Port Washington, Belgium, Cedarburg, Fredonia, Grafton, Port Washington, Saukville, Belgium, Fredonia, Grafton, Newburg, Saukville, Thiensville.
A Map of Ozaukee County, Wisconsin contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Ozaukee County, Wisconsin Courthouse Records
Ozaukee County, WI Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
It has been estimated that less than 50 percent of the vital records, for example, were prepared and submitted for permanent filing prior to 1907. Land deeds, probate, and court records generally begin in Wisconsin with the organization of the county. Prior to that date, check the County or Counties it was created from. Some counties formed from other counties transcribed their portion of property deeds to be kept with the new county deed records.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Ozaukee county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Ozaukee County Register of Deeds has Birth Records from 1852 , Marriage Records from 1855, Death Records from 1849 and Land Records from 1835. The purpose of the Register of Deeds is to provide official record keeping for Records or files land record documents authorized by law, such as deeds, mortgages, satisfactions, certified survey maps, plats and Federal Tax liens. Files and indexes Birth, Death and Marriage records, Military Discharges, and issues certified copies upon request.
- Ozaukee County Register in Probate Office has Probate Records from 1849. The Probate Office has the responsibility to maintain and update files regarding probate of estates, guardianships, protective placements, adoptions and mental commitments. This is a statutory office with the position of Register in Probate filled by judicial appointment.
- Ozaukee County Clerk of Court Office has Court Records from 1853. The Clerk of Court Office is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- Ozaukee County Treasurers Office collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
Ozaukee County, Wisconsin Census Records
- Learn More: State of Wisconsin Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Population Schedules: 1855, 1865, 1875, 1885, 1895, 1905
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Ozaukee County, Wisconsin Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Wisconsin Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage,Divorce and Death Records: from October 1, 1907. State Office has scattered records earlier than 1857 and records before 1907, are very incomplete.
- Locations: Wisconsin Office of Vital Statistics, Wisconsin State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Wisconsin Vital Records Office, 1 West Wilson Street, Room 160, Madison, WI 53703
Ozaukee County, Wisconsin Resources
- State of Wisconsin Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Wisconsin
- Area Research Center - University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
- Mequon Historical Society, 6100 W Mequon Rd 112N, Mequon, WI 53092; Phone: 262-242-3107
- Ozaukee County Historical Society
Ozaukee County, Wisconsin External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Wisconsin (1837 - 1992)
- Ozaukee County, Wisconsin Books - Amazon
- Ozaukee Co., Wisconsin - FindaGrave
- History of Washington and Ozaukee Counties, Wisconsin : containing an account of its settlement, growth, development and resour
- Ozaukee County, Wisconsin Links - Cyndi's List