Upshur County, West Virginia Genealogy Guide
|Other WV Resources|
| WV Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
WV Ancestor Records
WV Military Databases
WV Data Collections
WV Historical Westspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Upshur County, West Virginia (Map It) was created on March 26, 1851 from portions of Barbour County, Lewis County and Randolph County. The county was named in honor of Abel Parker Upshur (1790-1843), U.S. Secretary of the Navy and U.S. Secretary of State. Learn More About State of West Virginia History
Upshur County is bordered by Harrison County (north), Barbour County (northeast), Randolph County (southeast), Webster County (south), Lewis County (west). A Map of Upshur County, West Virginia contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Upshur County Cities and Towns include Adrian, Alexander, Buckhannon, Century, Cleveland, Frenchton, Kanawha Head, Lorentz, Rock Cave, Selbyville, Tallmansville, Tennerton
Upshur County, West Virginia Courthouse Records
Upshur County, WV Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Upshur county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered. Until 1863 West Virginia was part of Virginia, See Virginia State Records for Info and links for years prior to 1863.
- Upshur County Clerk has Birth / Death Records from 1853, Marriage Records from 1853, Land Records from 1851 and Probate Records from 1852. The County Clerk has many duties which include some of the following: the issuance of marriage licenses, birth and death certificates, record births, marriages and deaths in the county, serve as the recorder of all documents, prepare and send to all heirs a Notice to Redeem and take care of publications, redemptions or recording deeds with regard to delinquent property, issue military service discharge records and probate wills and assist in administration of estates.
- Upshur County Clerk of Circuit Court has Court Records from 1851. TheCounty Clerk of Circuit Court has many responsibilities which include some of the following: Serve as the Clerk to the Circuit and Family Court, Issue mesne (during the progress of a case) process, Issue final process to enforce and execute judgements, Appoint guardian ad litem where required, Responsible for all papers filed in the office; serve as registrar, recorder and custodian for all pleadings, documents and funds pertaining to cases filed in circuit court and family court, Responsible for the administration and management of the petit and grand jury systems in the county.
Upshur County, West Virginia Census Records
- Learn More: State of West Virginia Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Virginia, Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1607-1890
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Upshur County, West Virginia Vital Records
- Learn More: State of West Virginia Vital Records
- Birth & Death Records: from January 1917 to present
- Marriage Records: from 1921 to present.
- Divorce Records: from 1968 to present
- Locations: West Virginia Office of Vital Statistics
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Vital Registration, Division of Health, 350 Capitol St, Rm 165, Charleston, WV 25301-3701; (304) 558-2931; Info: (304) 558-2931
Upshur County, West Virginia Resources
- The Upshur County Historical Society
- Upshur County, West Virginia Message Boards
- Upshur County, West Virginia Genealogy Forum