Hampshire County, West Virginia Genealogy Guide
Hampshire County, West Virginia (Map It) was created on December 13, 1753 from portions of Augusta County, Virginia and Frederick County, Virginia. The county was named after the County of Hampshire in England. Learn More About State of West Virginia History
Hampshire County is bordered by Allegany County, Maryland (north), Morgan County (northeast), Frederick County, Virginia (east), Hardy County (south), Mineral County (west). A Map of Hampshire County, West Virginia contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Hampshire County Cities and Towns include Augusta, Bloomery, Capon Bridge, Capon Springs, Delray, Green Spring, High View, Junction, Kirby, Lehew, Levels, Points, Purgitsville, Rio, Romney, Shanks, Slanesville, Springfield, Three Churches, Yellow Spring
Hampshire County, West Virginia Courthouse Records
Hampshire County, WV Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Hampshire county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered. Until 1863 West Virginia was part of Virginia, See Virginia State Records for Info and links for years prior to 1863.
- Hampshire County Clerk has Birth / Death Records from 1865, Marriage Records from 1824, Land Records from 1757 and Probate Records from 1756. The County Clerk has many duties which include some of the following: the issuance of marriage licenses, birth and death certificates, record births, marriages and deaths in the county, serve as the recorder of all documents, prepare and send to all heirs a Notice to Redeem and take care of publications, redemptions or recording deeds with regard to delinquent property, issue military service discharge records and probate wills and assist in administration of estates.
- Hampshire County Clerk of Circuit Court has Court Records from 1736. TheCounty Clerk of Circuit Court has many responsibilities which include some of the following: Serve as the Clerk to the Circuit and Family Court, Issue mesne (during the progress of a case) process, Issue final process to enforce and execute judgements, Appoint guardian ad litem where required, Responsible for all papers filed in the office; serve as registrar, recorder and custodian for all pleadings, documents and funds pertaining to cases filed in circuit court and family court, Responsible for the administration and management of the petit and grand jury systems in the county.
Hampshire County, West Virginia Census Records
- Learn More: State of West Virginia Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790 (destroyed), 1800 (destroyed), 1810 (fragmented), 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820, Virginia, Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1607-1890
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Hampshire County, West Virginia Vital Records
- Learn More: State of West Virginia Vital Records
- Birth & Death Records: from January 1917 to present
- Marriage Records: from 1921 to present.
- Divorce Records: from 1968 to present
- Locations: West Virginia Office of Vital Statistics
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Vital Registration, Division of Health, 350 Capitol St, Rm 165, Charleston, WV 25301-3701; (304) 558-2931; Info: (304) 558-2931
Hampshire County, West Virginia Resources
Hampshire County, West Virginia External Links
- Historical Newspapers from West Virginia (1808 - 1904)
- Hampshire County, West Virginia Books - Amazon
- Hampshire County Marriages of the 1800s
- Hampshire County [West] Virginia Personal Property Tax Lists, 1800-1814
- Hampshire County Records, 1816-1923, Virginia/West Virginia
- Hampshire County, Virginia (now West Virginia): Volume I--Minute Book Abstracts 1788-1802
- Hampshire County, Virginia (now, West Virginia): Volume II--Minute Book Abstracts 1817-1823
- Hampshire Co., West Virginia - FindaGrave
- Hacker's Creek Pioneer Descendants (Central West Va)
- History of Hampshire County, West Virginia : from its earliest settlement to the present
- Hampshire County Encyclopedia