Cabell County, West Virginia Genealogy Guide
|Other WV Resources|
| WV Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
WV Ancestor Records
WV Military Databases
WV Data Collections
WV Historical Westspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Cabell County, West Virginia (Map It) was created on January 2, 1809 from portions of Kanawha County. The county was named in honor of William H. Cabell (1772-1853), who served as Governor of Virginia from 1805 to 1808. Learn More About State of West Virginia History
Cabell County is bordered by Mason County (northeast), Putnam County (east), Lincoln County (southeast), Wayne County (southwest), Lawrence County, Ohio (west), Gallia County, Ohio (north). A Map of Cabell County, West Virginia contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Cabell County Cities and Towns include Culloden, Lesage, Ona, Pea Ridge, Salt Rock, Milton, Huntington, Barboursville
Cabell County, West Virginia Courthouse Records
Cabell County, WV Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Cabell county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered. Until 1863 West Virginia was part of Virginia, See Virginia State Records for Info and links for years prior to 1863. Some records have been damaged by flood water and are not very legible. Transcripts of many of these records are available as an aid in deciphering them.
- Cabell County Clerk has Birth / Death Records from 1853, Marriage Records from 1809, Land Records from 1809 and Probate Records from 1809. The County Clerk has many duties which include some of the following: the issuance of marriage licenses, birth and death certificates, record births, marriages and deaths in the county, serve as the recorder of all documents, prepare and send to all heirs a Notice to Redeem and take care of publications, redemptions or recording deeds with regard to delinquent property, issue military service discharge records and probate wills and assist in administration of estates.
- Cabell County Clerk of Circuit Court has Court Records from 1809. TheCounty Clerk of Circuit Court has many responsibilities which include some of the following: Serve as the Clerk to the Circuit and Family Court, Issue mesne (during the progress of a case) process, Issue final process to enforce and execute judgements, Appoint guardian ad litem where required, Responsible for all papers filed in the office; serve as registrar, recorder and custodian for all pleadings, documents and funds pertaining to cases filed in circuit court and family court, Responsible for the administration and management of the petit and grand jury systems in the county.
Cabell County, West Virginia Census Records
- Learn More: State of West Virginia Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1810 (fragmented), 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820, Virginia, Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1607-1890
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Cabell County, West Virginia Vital Records
- Learn More: State of West Virginia Vital Records
- Birth & Death Records: from January 1917 to present
- Marriage Records: from 1921 to present.
- Divorce Records: from 1968 to present
- Locations: West Virginia Office of Vital Statistics
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Vital Registration, Division of Health, 350 Capitol St, Rm 165, Charleston, WV 25301-3701; (304) 558-2931; Info: (304) 558-2931
Cabell County, West Virginia Resources
- KYOWVA Genealogical and Historical Society
- Cabell-Wayne Historical Society, 630 1/2 - 7th Avenue, Huntington, WV 25701
- Carter G. Woodson Memorial Foundation, Inc., P. O. Box 5483, Huntington, WV 25703
- Cabell County, West Virginia Message Boards
- Cabell County, West Virginia Genealogy Forum
Cabell County, West Virginia External Links
- Historical Newspapers from West Virginia (1808 - 1904)
- Cabell County, West Virginia Books - Amazon
- Orena V. Grant genealogical collection (marriages and cemetery records)
- Cabell Co., West Virginia - FindaGrave
- Cabell County annals and families
- Annals of Southwest Virginia, 1769-1800
- Cabell County Encyclopedia