Whitman County, Washington Genealogy Guide
|Other WA Resources|
|WA Birth Records
WA Marriage Records
WA Divorce Records
WA Death Records
WA Ancestor Records
WA Military Databases
WA Data Collections
WA Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Whitman County, Washington (Map It) was created on November 29, 1871 from Stevens County. The county was named in honor of Marcus Whitman (1802–1847), a Presbyterian missionary. In the 1850s and 1860s the Oregon Steam Navigation Company and the Northwestern Stage Company acted as a lifeline for its residents. By the latter part of the century, four railroads were located in the county. Today Whitman County is one of the most productive wheat growing counties in the nation. The city of Pullman is the site of Washington State University, a nationally and internationally known comprehensive university, featuring quality undergraduate training and strong research programs. Learn More About State of Washington History.
Whitman County is bordered by Spokane County (north), Benewah County, Idaho (northeast), Latah County, Idaho (east), Nez Perce County, Idaho (southeast), Asotin County (southeast), Garfield County (south), Columbia County (south), Franklin County (southwest), Adams County (west), Lincoln County (northwest).
Whitman County Cities and Towns include Albion, Colfax, Colton, Endicott, Farmington, Garfield, La Crosse, Lamont, Malden, Oakesdale, Palouse, Pullman, Rosalia, St. John, Tekoa, Uniontown.. A Map of Whitman County, Washington contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Whitman County, Washington Courthouse Records
Whitman County, WA Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research. Although originally held in the county seat, many county land, probate, and court records have been transferred to the state archive's regional branches.
The Whitman County record dates below are from the earliest date to present time. They may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, voter registration, court records, and so forth.
- Whitman County Auditor has Birth and Death Records from 1891 to 1907, Marriage Records from 1874 and Land Records from 1874. The County Auditor has many responsibilities which include the recording of real property documents such as deeds and other recorded documents, issuing various licenses such as marriage liscense.
- Whitman County Clerk has Court Records from 1878 and Probate Records from 1861 . The County Clerk is the administrator of the Superior Court Clerk's Office. The Clerk's Office is responsible for keeping the permanent records of all cases filed in Superior Court. The type of cases filed are felony criminal cases, civil lawsuits, petitions for protection from domestic violence, family law matters (dissolutions 3rd Party Custody, parenting plans, modifications) probates, guardianships, Last Will & Testaments, paternities, adoptions and mental commitments. For judicial purposes, many of the Washington counties were attached to other counties.
- Whitman County Treasurer is the property tax collector for the County. Property Taxes are levied on the property by the various taxing authorities based on the valuation and current property usage as set by the Assessor's Office.
- The Whitman County Health Department can issue Birth, Marriage and Death certificates while you wait.
Whitman County, Washington Census Records
- Learn More: State of Washington Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State and Territorial Population Schedules: 1857-1892
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Whitman County, Washington Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Washington Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from July 1, 1907 to present.
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from January 1, 1968 to present
- Locations: Washington Department of Health
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth / Death Certificate or the Marriage / Divorce Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Center for Health Statistics, Department of Health, 101 Israel Road SE, Tumwater, WA 98501
Whitman County, Washington Resources
Whitman County, Washington External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Washington (1890 - 1984)
- Whitman County, Washington Books - Amazon
- Index to the 1880 census of Whitman County, Washington Territory
- Whitman Co., Washington - FindaGrave
- Historic sketches of Walla Walla, Whitman, Columbia and Garfield Counties, Washington Territory, and Umatilla County, Oregon
- An Illustrated history of Whitman County, state of Washington
- Whitman County, Washington Links - Cyndi's List
- Whitman Co. WAGenweb