Mason County, Washington Genealogy Guide
|Other WA Resources|
|WA Birth Records|
WA Marriage Records
WA Divorce Records
WA Death Records
WA Ancestor Records
WA Military Databases
WA Data Collections
WA Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Mason County, Washington (Map It) was created on December 22, 1854 from King County. The county was named in honor of Charles H. Mason (1830–1859), 1st Secretary of Washington Territory. Much of the county's early history centered around road building as the early settlers were forced to cut through heavy stands of timber to gain access to trading centers. Today,Mason County's primary economic activity is in the production of wood products and logging. Learn More About State of Washington History.
Mason County Cities and Towns include Allyn-Grapeview, Shelton, Kamilche, Skokomish.. A Map of Mason County, Washington contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Mason County, Washington Courthouse Records
Mason County, WA Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research. Although originally held in the county seat, many county land, probate, and court records have been transferred to the state archive's regional branches.
The Mason County record dates below are from the earliest date to present time. They may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, voter registration, court records, and so forth.
- Mason County Auditor has Birth and Death Records from 1891 to 1907, Marriage Records from 1892 and Land Records from 1856 . The County Auditor has many responsibilities which include the recording of real property documents such as deeds and other recorded documents, issuing various licenses such as marriage liscense.
- Mason County Clerk has Court Records from 1871 and Probate Records from 1889 . The County Clerk is the administrator of the Superior Court Clerk's Office. The Clerk's Office is responsible for keeping the permanent records of all cases filed in Superior Court. The type of cases filed are felony criminal cases, civil lawsuits, petitions for protection from domestic violence, family law matters (dissolutions 3rd Party Custody, parenting plans, modifications) probates, guardianships, Last Will & Testaments, paternities, adoptions and mental commitments. For judicial purposes, many of the Washington counties were attached to other counties.
- Mason County Treasurer is the property tax collector for the County. Property Taxes are levied on the property by the various taxing authorities based on the valuation and current property usage as set by the Assessor's Office.
- The Mason County Health Department can issue Birth, Marriage and Death certificates while you wait.
Mason County, Washington Census Records
- Learn More: State of Washington Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State and Territorial Population Schedules: 1857-1892
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Mason County, Washington Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Washington Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from July 1, 1907 to present.
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from January 1, 1968 to present
- Locations: Washington Department of Health
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth / Death Certificate or the Marriage / Divorce Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Center for Health Statistics, Department of Health, 101 Israel Road SE, Tumwater, WA 98501
Mason County, Washington Resources
- Washington State Archives, Southwest Regional Branch
- Mason County Genealogical Society
- Mason County Historical Society & Museum
- Timberland Regional Library
- Mason County, Washington Message Boards
- Mason County, Washington Genealogy Forum
- Washington State Digital Archives
Mason County, Washington External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Washington (1890 - 1984)
- Mason County, Washington Books - Amazon
- Mason County Death Records (1890 - 1931) Washington State Digital Archives
- The 1860 census records of Sawamish County, Washington Territory
- Mason Co., Washington - FindaGrave
- A brief history of Shelton, Washington
- Mason County, Washington Links - Cyndi's List
- Mason Co. WAGenweb