Westmoreland County, Virginia Genealogy Guide
|Other VA Resources|
| VA Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
VA Ancestor Records
VA Military Databases
VA Data Collections
VA Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Westmoreland County, Virginia (Map It) was created in July 1653 from Northumberland County and part of King George County was added in 1777. Westmoreland county was named for Westmoreland, United Kingdom.. Learn More About State of Virginia History
Westmoreland County is bordered by Charles County, Maryland (north), St. Mary's County, Maryland (northeast), Northumberland County (southeast), Richmond County (south), Essex County (southwest), King George County (northwest).
Westmoreland County Cities and Towns include Colonial Beach and Montross .
Westmoreland County, Virginia Courthouse Records
Westmoreland County, VA Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH . The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The Westmoreland County record dates below are from the earliest date to present time. They may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, voter registration, military discharges and court records. An order book for the period 1764-1776 was lost to theft, and many loose papers were damaged during both the Revolutionary War and the Civil War.
- Westmoreland County Clerk of Circuit Court has Marriage Records from 1772, Land Records from 1653, Court Records from 1653 and Probate Records from 1653. The County Clerk of Circuit Court serves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Westmoreland County Health Department
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
Westmoreland County, Virginia Census Records
- Learn More: State of Virginia Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790 (destroyed), 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: Virginia Heads of families 1790: records of the state enumerations, 1782 to 1785
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Westmoreland County, Virginia Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Virginia Vital Records
- Birth & Death Records: from January 1853 to December 1896 and since June 14, 1912 to present. The Virginia Archives has copies of surviving birth and death records for the period 1853 to 1896
- Marriage Records: from January 1853 to present. The Virginia Archives has copies of marriage records prior to 1936.
- Divorce Records: from January 1918 to present.
- Locations: Virginia Office of Vital Statistics, Virginia State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: 2001 Maywill Street, Richmond, Virginia 23230
Westmoreland County, Virginia Resources
- State of Virginia Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Virginia
- The Northern Neck of Virginia Historical Society
- Mary Ball Washington Museum & Library
- Westmoreland County, Virginia Message Boards
- Westmoreland County, Virginia Genealogy Forum
- Westmoreland County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Westmoreland Co. Virginia
Westmoreland County, Virginia External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Virginia (1784 - 1922 )
- Westmoreland County, Virginia Books - Amazon
- Married Well and Often: Marriages of the Northern Neck of Virginia, 1649-1800
- Westmoreland County, Virginia Wills, 1654-1800
- Virginia County Records: Westmoreland County, Volume I
- Using County and City Court Records in the Archives at the Library of Virginia
- Virginia County Records, Volume , VI, VII , IX, X The records in these series were compiled as part of a series known as the Virginia County Records . The volume includes wills, land grants, and marriage bonds as well as other miscellaneous information on early Virginia settlers.
- Westmoreland Co., Virginia - FindaGrave
- Northern Neck - Between the Potomac & Rappahannock: Westmoreland County - It's History
- Westmoreland County, Virginia : parts I and II : a short chapter and bright day in its history
- Westmoreland County, 1653-1657