Surry County, Virginia Genealogy Guide
|Other VA Resources|
|VA Birth Records
VA Marriage Records
VA Divorce Records
VA Death Records
VA Ancestor Records
VA Military Databases
VA Data Collections
VA Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Surry County is bordered by Charles City County (northwest), James City County (northeast), Isle of Wight County (southeast), Southampton County (south), Sussex County (southwest), Prince George County (west).
Surry County Cities and Towns include Claremont, Dendron, Surry, Bacon's Castle, Cabin Point, Scotland and Spring Grove .
Surry County, Virginia Courthouse Records
Surry County, VA Courthouse
The Surry County Courthouse is located in Surry, Virginia. Surry County has had nine courthouses since 1652. At least four of these burned. Enemy troops came through the county, camped and burned in both the Revolutionary war and the Civil War. The county suffered shelling in the War of 1812. Despite all this, the county still has its records. Learn More About State of Virginia Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH . The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The Surry County record dates below are from the earliest date to present time. They may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, voter registration, military discharges and court records. Has lost deeds for 1835-1838 and order books for 1718-1741 and various other early record books are fragmentary. Court house fires in 1906 and 1922 did not result in loss of records which were then housed in a separate clerk's office.
- Surry County Clerk of Circuit Court has Marriage Records from 1768, Land Records from 1645, Court Records from 1652 and Probate Records from 1645. The County Clerk of Circuit Court serves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Surry Health Department, 474 Colonial Trail West, Surry, Virginia 23883, Telephone: (757) 294-3185
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
Surry County, Virginia Census Records
- Learn More: State of Virginia Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790 (destroyed), 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: Virginia Heads of families 1790: records of the state enumerations, 1782 to 1785
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Surry County, Virginia Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Virginia Vital Records
- Birth & Death Records: from January 1853 to December 1896 and since June 14, 1912 to present. The Virginia Archives has copies of surviving birth and death records for the period 1853 to 1896
- Marriage Records: from January 1853 to present. The Virginia Archives has copies of marriage records prior to 1936.
- Divorce Records: from January 1918 to present.
- Locations: Virginia Office of Vital Statistics, Virginia State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: 2001 Maywill Street, Richmond, Virginia 23230
Surry County, Virginia Resources
Surry County, Virginia External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Virginia (1784 - 1922 )
- Surry County, Virginia Books - Amazon
- Early Virginia Families Along the James River: Their Deep Roots and Tangled Branches, Vol. III
- Surry County Records
- Using County and City Court Records in the Archives at the Library of Virginia
- Virginia County Records, Volume , VI, VII , IX, X The records in these series were compiled as part of a series known as the Virginia County Records . The volume includes wills, land grants, and marriage bonds as well as other miscellaneous information on early Virginia settlers.
- Surry Co., Virginia - FindaGrave
- Cox & Wright Ancestors, of Va
- The Ezell Family in America. Descendants of George Ezell of Old Colonial Surry, Va. 1692-1961
- Tour Surry County