Pulaski County, Virginia Genealogy Guide
|Other VA Resources|
| VA Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
VA Ancestor Records
VA Military Databases
VA Data Collections
VA Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Pulaski County, Virginia (Map It) was created in March 30, 1839 from Montgomery County and Wythe County . Pulaski county was named for Kazimierz Pulaski, Polish-born Revolutionary War general .. Learn More About State of Virginia History
Pulaski County, Virginia Courthouse Records
Pulaski County, VA Courthouse
The Pulaski County Courthouse is located in Pulaski, Virginia. As a stage stop on the old Baltimore and Nashville Stage Road, Newbern was the site of the first Pulaski County courthouse. When it burned in 1893, Pulaski and Dublin began a heated battle with Newbern to “host” the county seat. In January of 1894, the General Assembly authorized an election to decide “whether the county-seat… be removed from the town of Newbern at all; and, if so removed, whether to the town of Pulaski, in said county, or to the town of Dublin, in said county.” Both Dublin and Pulaski donated suitable sites, but citizens of Pulaski sweetened the deal by offering to cover the costs of the building. In the election Pulaski was chosen. The losers filed suite, alleging intimidation and other illegalities. The case went to the Virginia Supreme Court who ruled in favor of Pulaski. Learn More About State of Virginia Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH . The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The Pulaski County record dates below are from the earliest date to present time. They may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, voter registration, military discharges and court records. The 1844-57 marriage bonds are also in Montgomery County
- Pulaski County Clerk of Circuit Court has Marriage Records from 1839, Land Records from 1839, Court Records from 1839 and Probate Records from 1839. The County Clerk of Circuit Court serves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Pulaski County (VA) Treasurer
- Pulaski County Commissioner of Revenue
- Pulaski County Health Department
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
Pulaski County, Virginia Census Records
- Learn More: State of Virginia Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Pulaski County, Virginia Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Virginia Vital Records
- Birth & Death Records: from January 1853 to December 1896 and since June 14, 1912 to present. The Virginia Archives has copies of surviving birth and death records for the period 1853 to 1896
- Marriage Records: from January 1853 to present. The Virginia Archives has copies of marriage records prior to 1936.
- Divorce Records: from January 1918 to present.
- Locations: Virginia Office of Vital Statistics, Virginia State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: 2001 Maywill Street, Richmond, Virginia 23230
Pulaski County, Virginia Resources
- State of Virginia Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Virginia
- New River Notes
- Wilderness Road Regional Museum
- Radford Public Library
- Pulaski County Genealogy Club
- Pulaski County, Virginia Message Boards
- Pulaski County, Virginia Genealogy Forum
- Pulaski County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Pulaski Co. Virginia
Pulaski County, Virginia External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Virginia (1784 - 1922 )
- Pulaski County, Virginia Books - Amazon
- Pulaski County, Virginia Births, 1853-93
- Virginia Marriages, 1851-1929
- Using County and City Court Records in the Archives at the Library of Virginia
- Virginia County Records, Volume , VI, VII , IX, X The records in these series were compiled as part of a series known as the Virginia County Records . The volume includes wills, land grants, and marriage bonds as well as other miscellaneous information on early Virginia settlers.
- L. T. Christian Funeral Home Records Database indexes the client files contained in the forty-one cubic feet of records covering the period 1912-1986.
- J. Henry Brown Monuments Inc., Order Book a searchable database indexing tombstone inscriptions covering the period 1899-1907.
- Pulaski Co., Virginia - FindaGrave
- The Virginia Baptist Historical Society
- History of Pulaski County
- Pulaski County, Virginia a historic and descriptive sketch designed to show forth the natural advantages, resources and general adaptability of the banner county of southwest Virginia, to agriculture, cattle raising, and also commercial and industrial enterprises.
- Pulaski County, Virginia Links - Cyndi's List
- Pulaski Co. VAGenweb
- Pulaski County, Virginia Ancestry Database Collections
- Virginia Revolutionary War Units
- Pulaski County, Virginia Military Records