King and Queen County, Virginia Genealogy Guide
|Other VA Resources|
| VA Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
VA Ancestor Records
VA Military Databases
VA Data Collections
VA Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
King and Queen County, Virginia (Map It) was created in May 12, 1691 from New Kent County . King and Queen county was named for King William III and Queen Mary II.. Learn More About State of Virginia History
King and Queen County is bordered by Caroline County (north), Essex County (northeast), Middlesex County (east), Gloucester County (southeast), James City County (south), New Kent County (southwest), King William County (west).
King and Queen County Cities and Towns include contains no incorporated towns, and lies well off any interstate highway. It is extremely rural, to the point of being rustic.
King and Queen County, Virginia Courthouse Records
KingQueen County, VA Courthouse
The King and Queen County Courthouse is located in King and Queen Court House, Virginia. The courthouse is a T shape and was rebuilt after the fire of 1828. The wings were added in 1859. The courthouse complex had a tavern, jail, courthouse and other buildings. Learn More About State of Virginia Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH . The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The King and Queen County record dates below are from the earliest date to present time. They may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, voter registration, military discharges and court records. County court records were lost in fires in 1828 and 1865. One plat book and three mid-nineteenth century Superior Court record books survive.
- King and Queen County Clerk of Circuit Court has Marriage Records from 1864, Land Records from 1719, Court Records from 1864 and Probate Records from 1831. The County Clerk of Circuit Court serves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- King and Queen County, Virginia, Treasurer
- King & Queen County Health Department
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
King and Queen County, Virginia Census Records
- Learn More: State of Virginia Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790 (destroyed), 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: Virginia Heads of families 1790: records of the state enumerations, 1782 to 1785
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
King and Queen County, Virginia Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Virginia Vital Records
- Birth & Death Records: from January 1853 to December 1896 and since June 14, 1912 to present. The Virginia Archives has copies of surviving birth and death records for the period 1853 to 1896
- Marriage Records: from January 1853 to present. The Virginia Archives has copies of marriage records prior to 1936.
- Divorce Records: from January 1918 to present.
- Locations: Virginia Office of Vital Statistics, Virginia State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: 2001 Maywill Street, Richmond, Virginia 23230
King and Queen County, Virginia Resources
- State of Virginia Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Virginia
- King And Queen Historical Society
- King and Queen County, Virginia Message Boards
- King and Queen County, Virginia Genealogy Forum
- King and Queen County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in King and Queen Co. Virginia
King and Queen County, Virginia External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Virginia (1784 - 1922 )
- King and Queen County, Virginia Books - Amazon
- Using County and City Court Records in the Archives at the Library of Virginia
- Virginia County Records, Volume , VI, VII , IX, X The records in these series were compiled as part of a series known as the Virginia County Records . The volume includes wills, land grants, and marriage bonds as well as other miscellaneous information on early Virginia settlers.
- King and Queen Co., Virginia - FindaGrave
- King and Queen County, Virginia
- King and Queen County records concerning 18th century persons
- King and Queen County records concerning 18th century persons, 2nd collection
- King and Queen County records concerning 18th century persons, 3rd collection
- King and Queen County records concerning 18th century persons, 4th collection
- King and Queen County records concerning 18th century persons, 5th collection
- King and Queen County records concerning 18th century persons, 6th collection