Craig County, Virginia Genealogy Guide
|Other VA Resources|
| VA Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
VA Ancestor Records
VA Military Databases
VA Data Collections
VA Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Craig County, Virginia (Map It) was created in March 21, 1851 from Botetourt County, Giles County, Roanoke County and Monroe County, West Virginia. Parts of Monroe County, West Virginia added in 1853 and 1856, part of Montgomery County added in 1853, part of Alleghany County added in 1856, and part of Giles County added in 1858) . Craig county was named for Robert Craig, U.S. Representative from Virginia. Learn More About State of Virginia History
Craig County Cities and Towns include New Castle.
Craig County, Virginia Courthouse Records
Craig County, VA Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH . The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The Craig County record dates below are from the earliest date to present time. They may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, voter registration, military discharges and court records.
- Craig County Clerk of Circuit Court has Marriage Records from 1865, Land Records from 1851, Court Records from 1851 and Probate Records from 1851. The County Clerk of Circuit Court serves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Craig County Health Department
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
Craig County, Virginia Census Records
- Learn More: State of Virginia Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Craig County, Virginia Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Virginia Vital Records
- Birth & Death Records: from January 1853 to December 1896 and since June 14, 1912 to present. The Virginia Archives has copies of surviving birth and death records for the period 1853 to 1896
- Marriage Records: from January 1853 to present. The Virginia Archives has copies of marriage records prior to 1936.
- Divorce Records: from January 1918 to present.
- Locations: Virginia Office of Vital Statistics, Virginia State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: 2001 Maywill Street, Richmond, Virginia 23230
Craig County, Virginia Resources
- State of Virginia Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Virginia
- Craig County Historical Society , The Old Brick Hotel, 141 Court Street,P.O. Box 206, New Castle, VA 24127, New Castle, VA 24127; (540) 864-5004
- The Craig-Botetourt Genealogy Club , P.O. Box 1148, Buchanan, VA 24066
- Craig County Public Library
- Craig County, Virginia Message Boards
- Craig County, Virginia Genealogy Forum
- Craig County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Craig Co. Virginia
Craig County, Virginia External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Virginia (1784 - 1922 )
- Craig County, Virginia Books - Amazon
- Craig County, Virginia Births, 1853-96
- Craig County, Virginia Deaths, 1853-96
- Using County and City Court Records in the Archives at the Library of Virginia
- Virginia County Records, Volume , VI, VII , IX, X The records in these series were compiled as part of a series known as the Virginia County Records . The volume includes wills, land grants, and marriage bonds as well as other miscellaneous information on early Virginia settlers.
- Craig Co., Virginia - FindaGrave