Charles City County, Virginia Genealogy Guide
|Other VA Resources|
| VA Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
VA Ancestor Records
VA Military Databases
VA Data Collections
VA Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Charles City County, Virginia (Map It) was created in 1634 as was one of the eight original shires. Charles City county was named for King Charles I of England.. Learn More About State of Virginia History
Charles City County Cities and Towns include Binns Hall, Holdcroft, Charles City Courthouse, Ruthville, Sandy Point.
Charles City County, Virginia Courthouse Records
CharlesCity County, VA Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH . The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The Charles City County record dates below are from the earliest date to present time. They may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, voter registration, military discharges and court records. Records have been destroyed at various times. The most damage occurred during the Civil War when the records were strewn through woods in a rainstorm. Many fragments of records exist, so many, in fact, that there is something for almost every year.
- Charles City County Clerk of Circuit Court has Marriage Records from 1762, Land Records from 1655, Court Records from 1655 and Probate Records from 1650. The County Clerk of Circuit Court serves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Charles City County Treasurer Office
- Charles City Health Department, 7501 Adkins Road, Charles City, VA 23030; Phone: (804) 829-2490
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
Charles City County, Virginia Census Records
- Learn More: State of Virginia Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790 (destroyed), 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: Virginia Heads of families 1790: records of the state enumerations, 1782 to 1785
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Charles City County, Virginia Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Virginia Vital Records
- Birth & Death Records: from January 1853 to December 1896 and since June 14, 1912 to present. The Virginia Archives has copies of surviving birth and death records for the period 1853 to 1896
- Marriage Records: from January 1853 to present. The Virginia Archives has copies of marriage records prior to 1936.
- Divorce Records: from January 1918 to present.
- Locations: Virginia Office of Vital Statistics, Virginia State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: 2001 Maywill Street, Richmond, Virginia 23230
Charles City County, Virginia Resources
- State of Virginia Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Virginia
- Charles City County Historical Society , 16530 The Glebe Lane, Charles City, VA 23030
- Charles City County Center for Local History
- Charles City County, Virginia Message Boards
- Charles City County, Virginia Genealogy Forum
- Charles City County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Charles City Co. Virginia
Charles City County, Virginia External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Virginia (1784 - 1922 )
- Charles City County, Virginia Books - Amazon
- Charles City County court orders, 1655-1658
- Charles City County court orders, 1658-1661
- Charles City County court orders, 1661-1664
- Charles City County court orders, 1664-1665
- Using County and City Court Records in the Archives at the Library of Virginia
- Virginia County Records, Volume , VI, VII , IX, X The records in these series were compiled as part of a series known as the Virginia County Records . The volume includes wills, land grants, and marriage bonds as well as other miscellaneous information on early Virginia settlers.
- Charles City Co., Virginia - FindaGrave
- Early Virginia Families Along the James River: Their Deep and Tangled Branches. Volume II
- County Center Genealogical Databases Volunteers at the Charles City County Center for Local History have created these databases to make the Center's resources more widely accessible.
- Cox & Wright Ancestors, of Va