Salt Lake County, Utah Genealogy Guide
|Other UT Resources|
| UT Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
UT Ancestor Records
UT Military Databases
UT Data Collections
UT Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Salt Lake County, Utah (Map It) was created on March 03, 1852 as an Original county of State of Deseret. The county was named for the Great Salt Lake, the largest terminal lake in the Western Hemisphere. Learn More About State of Utah History
Salt Lake County Cities and Towns include Alta, incorporated in 1970, Bluffdale, incorporated in 1978, Cottonwood Heights, incorporated in 2005, Draper, incorporated in 1978, Herriman, incorporated in 1999, Holladay, incorporated in 1999, Midvale, incorporated in 1900s, Murray, incorporated in 1902, Riverton, incorporated in 1946, Salt Lake City, incorporated in 1851, Sandy, incorporated in 1893, South Jordan, incorporated in 1935, South Salt Lake, incorporated in 1938, Taylorsville, incorporated in 1996, West Jordan, incorporated in 1941, West Valley City, incorporated in 1980. A Map of Salt Lake County, Utah contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Salt Lake County, Utah Courthouse Records
SaltLake County, UT Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Salt Lake county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Salt Lake County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1887 and Birth / Death Records from 1898–1905. Vital Records are also available from the Salt Lake Valley Health Department or the State Archives. The County Clerk's responsibilities are to conduct Countywide elections, issue marriage licenses, issue business licenses for the unincorporated county.
- Salt Lake County Recorder has Land Records from 1852. The County Recorder's duties include Record, store and retrieve land documents in the public record; Assist the public in locating real property parcels on ownership plats; Assist the public in locating records; Record Military Discharges and provide certified copies of these documents at no charge; Sell copies of documents and plats to the public.
- Salt Lake County Clerk of District Court has Probate Records from 1852 and Court Records from 1852. The County Clerk of District Court duties services include Divorce, Protective Orders, Guardianship and other civil matters.
Salt Lake County, Utah Census Records
- Learn More: State of Utah Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Census and Census Substitutes: 1850-1890
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Salt Lake County, Utah Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Utah Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from 1905 to present
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from 1978 to present. see County Clerk for earlier records.
- Locations: Utah Office of Vital Statistics
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage or Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Utah Office of Vital Records and Statistics, 288 North 1460 West, PO BOX 141012, Salt Lake City, UT 84114-1012
Salt Lake County, Utah Resources
- Salt Lake County, Utah Message Boards
- Salt Lake County, Utah Genealogy Forum read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Salt Lake County
Salt Lake County, Utah External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Utah (1690 - 1992)
- Salt Lake Tribune, The (Salt Lake City, Utah)
- Salt Lake County, Utah Books - Amazon
- Salt Lake County Death Records, 1908-1949
- Salt Lake County Birth Records, 1890-1915
- Salt Lake County, Utah Civil and Criminal Case Files, 1852-1887
- Salt Lake County, Index to Probate Case Files, 1852-81
- Salt Lake County, Utah Coroners' Inquest Case Files, 1870-1871, 1886-1937
- Salt Lake Co., Utah - FindaGrave
- Salt Lake City, Utah Cemetery Records, 1848-1992
- Tales of a triumphant people : a history of Salt Lake County, Utah, 1847-1900
- Salt Lake County History