Stonewall County, Texas Genealogy Guide
|Other TX Resources|
| TX Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
TX Ancestor Records
TX Military Databases
TX Data Collections
TX Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Stonewall County, Texas (Map It) was created on August 21, 1876 from the Young Territory. This county was named for Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson (1824–1863), the famous Confederate General .. Learn More About State of Texas History
Stonewall County Cities and Towns include Aspermont, Old Glory, Peacock, Rath City, Swenson.. A Map of Stonewall County, Texas contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Stonewall County, Texas Courthouse Records
Stonewall County, TX Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicate what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Stonewall county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered. Some early records prior to organization on December 20, 1888 may be located in Young County, Throckmorton County and Jones County. Courthouse burned on August 9, 1910. Records of the county judge, sheriff, tax collector, and some of the surveyors office were lost in the fire.
- Stonewall County Clerk has Birth & Death Records from 1903, Marriage Records from 1888, Land Records from 1887, Probate Records from 1888 and Court Records from 1889. The County Clerk's office is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Stonewall County Tax Assessor-Collector Office is responsible for the the assessment of taxes on each property in the county and collection of that tax
Stonewall County, Texas Census Records
- Learn More: State of Texas Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- Texas Census Substitute Records: 1820-1890
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Stonewall County, Texas Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Texas Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from 1903 to present.
- Marriage Records: available from the County Clerk
- Divorce Records: available from the Clerk of District Court
- Locations: Texas Department of State Health Services
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth and Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Texas Department of State Health Services, 1100 W. 49th Street, Austin, TX 78756; (888) 963-7111 or (512) 458-7111
Stonewall County, Texas Resources
- Stonewall Co. Records Available on Microfilm
- Stonewall County, Texas Message Boards
- Stonewall County, Texas Genealogy Forum read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Stonewall County
Stonewall County, Texas External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Texas (1813 - 1993)
- Stonewall County, Texas Books - Amazon
- Texas, County Tax Rolls, 1846-1910
- Stonewall Co., Texas - FindaGrave
- Texas, Gonzalez de la Garza Genealogy Collection
- Landmarks of Tompkins County, New York : including a History of Cornell University by W.T. Hewitt
- Stonewall Co., Texas Almanac
- Texas county histories : a bibliography