Liberty County, Texas Genealogy Guide
|Other TX Resources|
| TX Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
TX Ancestor Records
TX Military Databases
TX Data Collections
TX Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Liberty County, Texas (Map It) was created on March 17, 1836 as one of the original 23 counties . This county was named for its county seat, which was named either for the recent success of the Mexican War of Independence or for Liberty, Mississippi.. Learn More About State of Texas History
Liberty County is bordered by Polk County (north), Hardin County (east), Jefferson County (southeast), Chambers County (south), Harris County (southwest), Montgomery County (west), San Jacinto County (northwest).
Liberty County Cities and Towns include Ames, Cleveland, Daisetta, Dayton Lakes, Devers, Dayton, Hardin, Kenefick, Liberty, Mont Belvieu, North Cleveland, Plum Grove.. A Map of Liberty County, Texas contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Liberty County, Texas Courthouse Records
Liberty County, TX Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicate what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Liberty county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered. Courthouse, built in 1857, was destroyed on December 28, 1872. County records were destroyed
- Liberty County Clerk has Birth & Death Records from 1903, Marriage Records from 1875, Land Records from 1875, Probate Records from 1895 and Court Records from 1874. The County Clerk's office is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Liberty County Tax Assessor-Collector Office is responsible for the the assessment of taxes on each property in the county and collection of that tax
Liberty County, Texas Census Records
- Learn More: State of Texas Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- Texas Census Substitute Records: 1820-1890
- State Population Schedules: Republic of Texas Poll Lists for 1846
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Liberty County, Texas Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Texas Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from 1903 to present.
- Marriage Records: available from the County Clerk
- Divorce Records: available from the Clerk of District Court
- Locations: Texas Department of State Health Services
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth and Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Texas Department of State Health Services, 1100 W. 49th Street, Austin, TX 78756; (888) 963-7111 or (512) 458-7111
Liberty County, Texas Resources
- Liberty County Genealogical Society
- Liberty County Historical Commission, P.O. Box 23, Liberty, TX 77575
- Atascosito Historical Society, P.O. Box 989, Liberty, TX 77575
- Sam Houston Regional Library & Research Center
- Cleveland Area Genealogical Enterprises, Austin Memorial Library, 220 S. Bonham, Cleveland, TX 77327
- Liberty Co. Records Available on Microfilm
- Liberty County, Texas Message Boards
- Liberty County, Texas Genealogy Forum read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Liberty County