Angelina County, Texas Genealogy Guide
|Other TX Resources|
| TX Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
TX Ancestor Records
TX Military Databases
TX Data Collections
TX Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Angelina County, Texas (Map It) was created on April 22, 1846 from Nacogdoches County. This county was named for a Hainai Native American woman who assisted early Spanish missionaries, whom they called "Little Angel" (Spanish: Angelina) .. Learn More About State of Texas History
Angelina County is bordered by Nacogdoches County (north), San Augustine County (northeast), Jasper County (southeast), Tyler County (south), Polk County (southwest), Trinity County (west), Houston County (west), Cherokee County (northwest) .
Angelina County Cities and Towns include Burke, Diboll, Hudson, Huntington, Lufkin, Zavalla.. A Map of Angelina County, Texas contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Angelina County, Texas Courthouse Records
Angelina County, TX Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicate what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Angelina county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered. Angelina County Courthouse at Homer burned on November 19, 1891. Many of the county records - including those in the assessor's office and the justice of the peace office were destroyed.
- Angelina County Clerk has Birth & Death Records from 1903 for Birth; 1857 for death, Marriage Records from 1846, Land Records from 1846, Probate Records from 1850 and Court Records from 1846. The County Clerk's office is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Angelina County Tax Assessor-Collector Office is responsible for the the assessment of taxes on each property in the county and collection of that tax
Angelina County, Texas Census Records
- Learn More: State of Texas Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- Texas Census Substitute Records: 1820-1890
- State Population Schedules: Republic of Texas Poll Lists for 1846
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Angelina County, Texas Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Texas Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from 1903 to present.
- Marriage Records: available from the County Clerk
- Divorce Records: available from the Clerk of District Court
- Locations: Texas Department of State Health Services
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth and Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Texas Department of State Health Services, 1100 W. 49th Street, Austin, TX 78756; (888) 963-7111 or (512) 458-7111
Angelina County, Texas Resources
- Angelina County Genealogical Society
- Lufkin Genealogical & Historical Society, P.O. Box 150631, Lufkin 75901
- Angelina Co. Records Available on Microfilm
- Angelina County, Texas Message Boards
- Angelina County, Texas Genealogy Forum read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Angelina County