Trousdale County, Tennessee Genealogy Guide
|Other TN Resources|
|TN Birth, Death, Marriage,
Divorce & Death Records
TN Ancestor Records
TN Military Databases
TN Data Collections
TN Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Trousdale County, Tennessee (Map It) was created on September 5, 1870 from Macon County, Smith County, Sumner County, and Williamson County. This Trousdale County was named in honor of William Trousdale (1790–1872), Creek and Mexican-American War soldier and officer, state senator and Governor of Tennessee. Learn More About State of Tennessee History
Trousdale County Cities and Towns include Hartsville . A Map of Trousdale County, Tennessee contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Trousdale County, Tennessee Courthouse Records
Trousdale County, TN Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Trousdale county or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered. There were fires at the Trousdale County courthouse in 1900 and 1904. County records were destroyed in 1874, 1900, and 1905 and few records predate 1906.
- Trousdale County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1906 and Probate Records from 1905. The County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Trousdale County Register of Deeds has Land & Deed Records from 1905. The County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Trousdale County Clerk of Circuit Court has Chancery Court Minutes from 1906, Circuit Court Minutes from 1906 and County Court Minutes 1906 . The County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Trousdale County Property Assessor has Tax Records from ? and are located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives. The County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Trousdale County Health Department issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Trousdale County, Tennessee Census Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Trousdale County, Tennessee Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1914 to present, also for Nashville since June 1881, for Knoxville since July 1881, and for Chattanooga since January 1882
- Marriage, Divorce and Death Records: from the past 50 years to present.
- Locations: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, Tennessee State Library and Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, 1st Floor, Central Services Building, 421 Fifth Avenue, North, Nashville, TN 37243; PH: 615-741-1763
Trousdale County, Tennessee Resources
Trousdale County, Tennessee External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Tennessee (1795 - 1929 )
- Tennessee Newspaper List by County and City
- Trousdale County, Tennessee Books - Amazon
- Tennessee Real Estate Assessment Data Property Search
- Trousdale County Records on Microfilm - Order County Microfilm Inventories and Reels
- Early Trousdale County Records Available on Interlibrary Loan
- Trousdale Co., Tennessee - FindaGrave