Madison County, Tennessee Genealogy Guide
|Other TN Resources|
| TN Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
TN Ancestor Records
TN Military Databases
TN Data Collections
TN Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Madison County, Tennessee (Map It) was created on November 6, 1821 from Chickasaw Indians lands. This Madison County was named in honor of U.S. President James Madison (1758–1836).Learn More About State of Tennessee History
Madison County is bordered by Gibson County (north), Carroll County (northeast), Henderson County (east), Chester County (southeast), Hardeman County (south), Haywood County (west) and Crockett County (northwest) .
Madison County Cities and Towns include Jackson, Medon, Three Way, Pinson (unincorporated) . A Map of Madison County, Tennessee contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Madison County, Tennessee Courthouse Records
Madison County, TN Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Madison county or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Madison County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1838 and Probate Records from 1825 . The County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Madison County Register of Deeds has Land & Deed Records from 1821 . The County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Madison County Clerk of Circuit Court has Chancery Court Minutes from 1846, Circuit Court Minutes from 1821 and County Court Minutes 1821 . The County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Madison County Property Assessor has Tax Records from ? and are located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives. The County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Madison County Health Department issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Madison County, Tennessee Census Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: , 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Madison County, Tennessee Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1914 to present, also for Nashville since June 1881, for Knoxville since July 1881, and for Chattanooga since January 1882
- Marriage, Divorce and Death Records: from the past 50 years to present.
- Locations: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, Tennessee State Library and Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, 1st Floor, Central Services Building, 421 Fifth Avenue, North, Nashville, TN 37243; PH: 615-741-1763
Madison County, Tennessee Resources
- State of Tennessee Archives and Societies
- Madison County Archives, 1981 Hollywood Drive, Suite 300, Jackson, TN 38305; Phone: (731) 423-2723
- Casey Jones Home & Railroad Museum, 56 Casey Jones Lane, Jackson, TN 38305 731-668-1222
- Union University Archives, Emma Waters Summar Library, 1050 University Drive, Jackson, TN 38305 731-661-5070
- RAOGK Volunteers for Tennessee
- Madison County, Tennessee Message Boards
- Madison County, Tennessee Genealogy Forum read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Madison County
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About Madison County
Madison County, Tennessee External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Tennessee (1795 - 1929 )
- Tennessee Newspaper List by County and City
- Madison County, Tennessee Books - Amazon
- Tennessee Real Estate Assessment Data Property Search
- Madison County Records on Microfilm - Order County Microfilm Inventories and Reels
- Early Madison County Records Available on Interlibrary Loan
- Madison Co., Tennessee - FindaGrave
- 1887 History of Madison County Description, Settlement, County Government, City of Jackson,Other Communities, Courts, War, Schools, Churches Index of Names in Goodspeed Book - The Goodspeed Publishing Co., History of Tennessee, 1887
- Madison County History and Culture
- Madison County, Tennessee Links - Cyndi's List
- Madison Co. TNGenweb
- Madison County, Tennessee Ancestry Database Collections
- Madison Co. D.O.T. County Highway Map
- Madison County, Tennessee Military Records