Hardeman County, Tennessee Genealogy Guide
|Other TN Resources|
| TN Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
TN Ancestor Records
TN Military Databases
TN Data Collections
TN Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Hardeman County, Tennessee (Map It) was created on October 16, 1823 from Hardin County and Madison County. This Hardeman County was named in honor of Thomas Jones Hardeman, Creek War and War of 1812 soldier, later a member of the Republic of Texas legislature. Learn More About State of Tennessee History
Hardeman County is bordered by Madison County (north), Chester County (northeast), McNairy County (east), Alcorn County, Mississippi (southeast), Tippah County, Mississippi (south), Benton County, Mississippi (southwest), Fayette County (west) and Haywood County (northwest) .
Hardeman County Cities and Towns include Bolivar, Hickory Valley, Hornsby, Middleton, Saulsbury, Toone, Whiteville . A Map of Hardeman County, Tennessee contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Hardeman County, Tennessee Courthouse Records
Hardeman County, TN Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Hardeman county or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered. There was a fire at the Hardeman County courthouse in 1864.
- Hardeman County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1823 and Probate Records from 1824. The County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Hardeman County Register of Deeds has Land & Deed Records from 1822. The County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Hardeman County Clerk of Circuit Court has Chancery Court Minutes from 1852 , Circuit Court Minutes from 1823 and County Court Minutes 1827. The County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Hardeman County Property Assessor has Tax Records from 1824-1854, 1865-1881 and are located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives. The County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Hardeman County Health Department issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Hardeman County, Tennessee Census Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: , 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Hardeman County, Tennessee Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1914 to present, also for Nashville since June 1881, for Knoxville since July 1881, and for Chattanooga since January 1882
- Marriage, Divorce and Death Records: from the past 50 years to present.
- Locations: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, Tennessee State Library and Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, 1st Floor, Central Services Building, 421 Fifth Avenue, North, Nashville, TN 37243; PH: 615-741-1763
Hardeman County, Tennessee Resources
- State of Tennessee Archives and Societies
- Bolivar-Hardeman County Library, 213 N. Washington Street, Bolivar, TN 38008 731-658-3436
- Middleton Community Library, 110 Bolton Ave., P.O. Box 40, Middleton, TN 38052 731-376-0680
- RAOGK Volunteers for Tennessee
- Hardeman County, Tennessee Message Boards
- Hardeman County, Tennessee Genealogy Forum read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Hardeman County
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About Hardeman County
Hardeman County, Tennessee External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Tennessee (1795 - 1929 )
- Tennessee Newspaper List by County and City
- Hardeman County, Tennessee Books - Amazon
- Tennessee Real Estate Assessment Data Property Search
- Hardeman County Records on Microfilm - Order County Microfilm Inventories and Reels
- Early Hardeman County Records Available on Interlibrary Loan
- Hardeman Co., Tennessee - FindaGrave