Hamblen County, Tennessee Genealogy Guide
|Other TN Resources|
|TN Birth, Death, Marriage,
Divorce & Death Records
TN Ancestor Records
TN Military Databases
TN Data Collections
TN Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Hamblen County, Tennessee (Map It) was created on June 9, 1870 from Graingier County, Greene County and Jefferson County. This Hamblen County was named in honor of Early settler Hezekiah Hamblen. Learn More About State of Tennessee History
Hamblen County Cities and Towns include Alpha (unincorporated), Morristown, Russellville (unincorporated), Talbott (unincorporated), White Pine, Whitesburg (unincorporated) . A Map of Hamblen County, Tennessee contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Hamblen County, Tennessee Courthouse Records
Hamblen County, TN Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Hamblen county or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Hamblen County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1872 and Probate Records from 1872. The County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Hamblen County Register of Deeds has Land & Deed Records from 1870 . The County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Hamblen County Clerk of Circuit Court has Chancery Court Minutes from 1870, Circuit Court Minutes from 1870 and County Court Minutes 1871. The County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Hamblen County Property Assessor has Tax Records from 1877, 1879-1882, 1886-1889, 1891-1895 and are located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives. The County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Hamblen County Health Department issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Hamblen County, Tennessee Census Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Hamblen County, Tennessee Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1914 to present, also for Nashville since June 1881, for Knoxville since July 1881, and for Chattanooga since January 1882
- Marriage, Divorce and Death Records: from the past 50 years to present.
- Locations: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, Tennessee State Library and Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, 1st Floor, Central Services Building, 421 Fifth Avenue, North, Nashville, TN 37243; PH: 615-741-1763
Hamblen County, Tennessee Resources
- State of Tennessee Archives and Societies
- Hamblen County Archives, Room 102, Courthouse, 511 W. 2nd Street, Morristown , TN 37814-1530; Phone: (423) 586-1961
- East Tennessee Historical Society
- Hamblen County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1213, Morristown, TN 37816; (423) 586-5581
- Hamblen County Historical Society, 346 Fuller Estate Circle, Morristown, TN 37813; (423) 581-8386
- Morristown Hamblen County Public Library, 417 West Main Street, Morristown, TN 37814 423-586-6410
Hamblen County, Tennessee External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Tennessee (1795 - 1929 )
- Tennessee Newspaper List by County and City
- Hamblen County, Tennessee Books - Amazon
- Tennessee Real Estate Assessment Data Property Search
- Hamblen County Records on Microfilm - Order County Microfilm Inventories and Reels
- Early Hamblen County Records Available on Interlibrary Loan
- Hamblen Co., Tennessee - FindaGrave