Decatur County, Tennessee Genealogy Guide
|Other TN Resources|
| TN Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
TN Ancestor Records
TN Military Databases
TN Data Collections
TN Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Decatur County, Tennessee (Map It) was created on November 1845 from Perry County (gained from Hardin County in 1849). This Decatur County was named in honor of U.S. naval officer and War of 1812 hero Stephen Decatur (1779–1820). .Learn More About State of Tennessee History
Decatur County Cities and Towns include Decaturville, Parsons, Scotts Hill . A Map of Decatur County, Tennessee contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Decatur County, Tennessee Courthouse Records
Decatur County, TN Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Decatur county or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered. There were fires at the Decatur County courthouse in 1869 and 1927, most records were destroyed in the 1869 fire.
- Decatur County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1869 and Probate Records from 1869. The County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Decatur County Register of Deeds has Land & Deed Records from 1846. The County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Decatur County Clerk of Circuit Court has Chancery Court Minutes from 1860, Circuit Court Minutes from 1892 and County Court Minutes 1869. The County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Decatur County Property Assessor has Tax Records from ? and are located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives. The County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Decatur County Health Department issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Decatur County, Tennessee Census Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1800 (part), 1810 (part), 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Territory Census: 1770-1790 Census of the Cumberland Settlements
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Decatur County, Tennessee Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1914 to present, also for Nashville since June 1881, for Knoxville since July 1881, and for Chattanooga since January 1882
- Marriage, Divorce and Death Records: from the past 50 years to present.
- Locations: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, Tennessee State Library and Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, 1st Floor, Central Services Building, 421 Fifth Avenue, North, Nashville, TN 37243; PH: 615-741-1763
Decatur County, Tennessee Resources
- State of Tennessee Archives and Societies
- Decatur County Historical Society
- Decatur County Public Library, 20 West Market Street, PO Box 396, Decaturville, TN 38329 731-852-3325
- Parsons Public Library, 105 Kentucky Avenue South, Parsons, TN 38363 731-847-6988
- RAOGK Volunteers for Tennessee
- Decatur County, Tennessee Message Boards
- Decatur County, Tennessee Genealogy Forum read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Decatur County
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About Decatur County
Decatur County, Tennessee External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Tennessee (1795 - 1929 )
- Tennessee Newspaper List by County and City
- Decatur County, Tennessee Books - Amazon
- Tennessee Real Estate Assessment Data Property Search
- Decatur County Records on Microfilm - Order County Microfilm Inventories and Reels
- Early Decatur County Records Available on Interlibrary Loan
- Decatur Co., Tennessee - FindaGrave