Claiborne County, Tennessee Genealogy Guide
|Other TN Resources|
| TN Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
TN Ancestor Records
TN Military Databases
TN Data Collections
TN Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Claiborne County, Tennessee (Map It) was created on October 29, 1801 from Grainger County and Hawkins County. This Claiborne County was named in honor of Governor of Louisiana and Governor of Mississippi Territory William C. C. Claiborne (1775–1817). Learn More About State of Tennessee History
Claiborne County is bordered by Bell County, Kentucky (north), Lee County, Virginia (northeast), Hancock County (east), Grainger County (southeast), Union County (southwest), Campbell County (west) and Whitley County, Kentucky (northwest) .
Claiborne County Cities and Towns include Cumberland Gap, Harrogate, Harrogate-Shawanee, New Tazewell, Tazewell . A Map of Claiborne County, Tennessee contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Claiborne County, Tennessee Courthouse Records
Claiborne County, TN Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Claiborne county or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered. There was a fire at the Claiborne County courthouse in 1932.
- Claiborne County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1838 and Probate Records from 1839. The County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Claiborne County Register of Deeds has Land & Deed Records from 1801. The County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Claiborne County Clerk of Circuit Court has Chancery Court Minutes from 1834, Circuit Court Minutes from 1837 and County Court Minutes 1801. The County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Claiborne County Property Assessor has Tax Records from 1833, 1839, 1850-1856, 1865-1873, 1881, 1882, 1899, 1900 and are located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives. The County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Claiborne County Health Department issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Claiborne County, Tennessee Census Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1810 (part), 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Claiborne County, Tennessee Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1914 to present, also for Nashville since June 1881, for Knoxville since July 1881, and for Chattanooga since January 1882
- Marriage, Divorce and Death Records: from the past 50 years to present.
- Locations: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, Tennessee State Library and Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, 1st Floor, Central Services Building, 421 Fifth Avenue, North, Nashville, TN 37243; PH: 615-741-1763
Claiborne County, Tennessee Resources
- State of Tennessee Archives and Societies
- Claiborne County Archives, P.O. Box 318, Tazewell , TN 37879; Phone: (423) 626-5236
- Claiborne County Historical and Genealogical Society
- Barbara Reynolds Carr Memorial Library, 1304 Old Knoxville Rd., PO Box 139, Tazewell, TN 37879 423-626-5414
- RAOGK Volunteers for Tennessee
- Claiborne County, Tennessee Message Boards
- Claiborne County, Tennessee Genealogy Forum read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Claiborne County
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About Claiborne County
Claiborne County, Tennessee External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Tennessee (1795 - 1929 )
- Tennessee Newspaper List by County and City
- Claiborne County, Tennessee Books - Amazon
- Tennessee Real Estate Assessment Data Property Search
- Claiborne County Records on Microfilm - Order County Microfilm Inventories and Reels
- Early Claiborne County Records Available on Interlibrary Loan
- THE CLAIBORNE COUNTY CEMETERIES ASSOCIATION
- Claiborne Co., Tennessee - FindaGrave
- 1887 Goodspeed History of Claiborne County
- Claiborne County Pioneer Project (freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com) The Claiborne County Pioneer Project is a private endeavor to record the genealogy of the residents of Claiborne County, Tennessee prior to 1910. Over 90,000 individuals have been documented as being born, lived or died in the county prior to 1910
- Claiborne County History and Culture
- Claiborne County, Tennessee Links - Cyndi's List
- Claiborne Co. TNGenweb
- Claiborne County, Tennessee Ancestry Database Collections
- Claiborne Co. D.O.T. County Highway Map
- Claiborne County, Tennessee Military Records