Cheatham County, Tennessee Genealogy Guide
|Other TN Resources|
| TN Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
TN Ancestor Records
TN Military Databases
TN Data Collections
TN Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Cheatham County, Tennessee (Map It) was created on February 28, 1856 from Davidson, Dickson, Montgomery and Roberson. This Cheatham County was named in honor of Tennessee state legislator Edward Cheatham .Learn More About State of Tennessee History
Cheatham County Cities and Towns include Ashland City, Kingston Springs, Pegram, Pleasant View . A Map of Cheatham County, Tennessee contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Cheatham County, Tennessee Courthouse Records
Cheatham County, TN Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Cheatham county or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Cheatham County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1856 and Probate Records from 1856 . The County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Cheatham County Register of Deeds has Land & Deed Records from 1856 . The County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Cheatham County Clerk of Circuit Court has Chancery Court Minutes from 1857, Circuit Court Minutes from 1877 and County Court Minutes 1856 . The County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Cheatham County Property Assessor has Tax Records from 1856-1861, 1868, 1875, 1877-1879, 1888-1900 and are located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives. The County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Cheatham County Health Department issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Cheatham County, Tennessee Census Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Cheatham County, Tennessee Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1914 to present, also for Nashville since June 1881, for Knoxville since July 1881, and for Chattanooga since January 1882
- Marriage, Divorce and Death Records: from the past 50 years to present.
- Locations: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, Tennessee State Library and Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, 1st Floor, Central Services Building, 421 Fifth Avenue, North, Nashville, TN 37243; PH: 615-741-1763
Cheatham County, Tennessee Resources
- State of Tennessee Archives and Societies
- Cheatham County Historical And Genealogical Association
- Cheatham County Public Library
- RAOGK Volunteers for Tennessee
- Cheatham County, Tennessee Message Boards
- Cheatham County, Tennessee Genealogy Forum read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Cheatham County
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About Cheatham County
Cheatham County, Tennessee External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Tennessee (1795 - 1929 )
- Tennessee Newspaper List by County and City
- Cheatham County, Tennessee Books - Amazon
- Tennessee Real Estate Assessment Data Property Search
- Cheatham County Records on Microfilm - Order County Microfilm Inventories and Reels
- Early Cheatham County Records Available on Interlibrary Loan
- Cheatham Co., Tennessee - FindaGrave