Roberts County, South Dakota Genealogy Guide
|Other SD Resources|
| SD Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
SD Ancestor Records
SD Military Databases
SD Data Collections
SD Historical Southspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Roberts County, South Dakota (Map It) was created on March 08, 1883 from Grant County. The county was named in honor of S.G. Roberts, territorial legislator. Learn More About State of South Dakota History
Roberts County is bordered by Richland County, North Dakota (north), Traverse County, Minnesota (northeast), Big Stone County, Minnesota, Grant County (south), Day County (southwest), Marshall County (west).
Roberts County Cities and Towns include Claire City, Corona, Hammer, New Effington, Ortley, Peever, Rosholt, Sisseton, Summit, Victor, White Rock, Wilmot.
Roberts County, South Dakota Courthouse Records
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Roberts county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered. The state archives holds records (1908—1981).
- Roberts County Register of Deeds has Marriage Records from 1887 and Land Records from 1883?. The County Register of Deeds is the primary record-keeping and archival repository for county land records and for the recording & maintaining of records pertaining to that real estate, plats, deeds, mortgages & many miscellaneous documents. This office is the keeper of birth, death & marriage records, military discharge records, fictitious name filings, and various types of liens, including mechanic’s liens, state and federal tax liens.
- Roberts County Clerk of Court has Probate Records from 1883? and Court Records from 1883?.
Roberts County, South Dakota Census Records
- Learn More: State of South Dakota Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S., Schedules of Special Census of Indians: 1885-1940,
- State Population Schedules: 1885 Territorial Census, 1895, 1905, 1915, 1925, 1935, 1945
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Roberts County, South Dakota Vital Records
- Learn More: State of South Dakota Vital Records
- Birth, Death and Marriage Records: since July 1905, also from County Register of Deeds
- Divorce Records: since July 1905, also from County Clerk of Courts
- Locations: South Dakota Department of Health
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Vital Records, Dept of Health, 600 East Capitol, Pierre, SD 57501-2536; (605) 773-4961