Harding County, South Dakota Genealogy Guide
|Other SD Resources|
|SD Birth, Death, Marriage,
Divorce & Death Records
SD Ancestor Records
SD Military Databases
SD Data Collections
SD Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Harding County, South Dakota (Map It) was created on February 26, 1909 from Unorganized lands. The county was named in honor of J.A. Harding, Speaker of the House for Dakota Territory. Learn More About State of South Dakota History
Harding County is bordered by Bowman County, North Dakota (north), Adams County, North Dakota (northeast), Perkins County (east), Butte County (south), Carter County, Montana (west), Fallon County, Montana (northwest).
Harding County Cities and Towns include Buffalo, Camp Crook, Ludlow, Reva, Ralph.
Harding County, South Dakota Courthouse Records
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Harding county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered. The state archives has Territorial Registers of Action (1881—90); probate and circuit court records (1881—1957).
- Harding County Register of Deeds has Marriage Records from 1909 and Land Records from 1881?. The County Register of Deeds is the primary record-keeping and archival repository for county land records and for the recording & maintaining of records pertaining to that real estate, plats, deeds, mortgages & many miscellaneous documents. This office is the keeper of birth, death & marriage records, military discharge records, fictitious name filings, and various types of liens, including mechanic’s liens, state and federal tax liens.
- Harding County Clerk of Court has Probate Records from 1881? and Court Records from 1881?.
Harding County, South Dakota Census Records
Harding County, South Dakota Vital Records
- Learn More: State of South Dakota Vital Records
- Birth, Death and Marriage Records: since July 1905, also from County Register of Deeds
- Divorce Records: since July 1905, also from County Clerk of Courts
- Locations: South Dakota Department of Health
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Vital Records, Dept of Health, 600 East Capitol, Pierre, SD 57501-2536; (605) 773-4961