Horry County, South Carolina Genealogy Guide
|Other SC Resources|
| SC Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
SC Ancestor Records
SC Military Databases
SC Data Collections
SC Historical Southspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Horry County, South Carolina (Map It) was created on December 19, 1801 from Georgetown County.. The county was named in honor of Peter Horry, Revolutionary War general . Learn More About State of South Carolina History.
Horry County is bordered by Columbus County, North Carolina (northeast), Columbus County, North Carolina (east), Columbus County, North Carolina (northwest), Georgetown County (southwest), Marion County (west), Dillon County (northwest).
Horry County Cities and Towns include Conway, Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, Aynor, Garden City, Loris, Surfside Beach, Atlantic Beach, Briarcliffe Acres. A Map of Horry County, South Carolina contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Horry County, South Carolina Courthouse Records
Horry County, SC Courthouse
Old Horry County Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Horry county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered. Federal troops rifled and vandalized courthouse offices in 1865; many loose papers and volumes of the clerk of court (including early deeds to 1828) were destroyed. The files of the commissioner of equity were virtually wiped out, and loose probate papers left in disarray. At some later date, pre-1887 General Sessions Indictments were lost as well.
- Horry County Register of Deeds has Land Records from 1803. The County Register of Deeds records and maintain deeds, mortgages, plats, state and federal tax liens, mechanics liens, uniform commercial code filings, and other miscellaneous documents pertaining to real estate transactions.
- Horry County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1911 and Probate Records from 1799. The County Clerk of Probate Court has original jurisdiction over actions concerning the issuance of marriage licenses, the estate of a deceased person, the will of an individual, the estate of a minor or incapacitated person, trusts, and involuntary commitments.
- Horry County Clerk of Court has Court Records from 1803 and Divorce Records from since April 1949. The County Clerk of Court is divided into General Sessions and Common Pleas Court. The Circuit Court is a formal court of record.
- Horry County Tax Assessor / Collector is responsible for the collection of taxes. Our office does not calculate a property’s taxable value (Assessor’s Office).
- Horry County Health Department has birth and death records from 1915. Marriage records prior to 1950 are available from the Probate Court office. Divorce records since April 1949 are available from the County Clerk's office.
Horry County, South Carolina Census Records
- Learn More: State of South Carolina Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Horry County, South Carolina Vital Records
- Learn More: State of South Carolina Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1915 to present
- Marriage Records: from July 1950 to present. Contact the Office of Probate for earlier records.
- Divorce Records: from July 1962 to present. Contact the Clerk of Court for earlier records.
- Locations: South Carolina Office of Vital Statistics
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth and Death Certificate or Marriage and Divorce Certificate Applications.
- In Person: List of Vital Records Services Office locations
Horry County, South Carolina Resources
- Horry County Historical Society
- Horry County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1428, Marion 29571
- Horry County Museum
- Pee Dee Chapter, SCGS, Inc.
- Atlantic Beach Historical Society, P.O. Box 1732, North Myrtle Beach, SC 29596
- Horry County, South Carolina Message Boards
- Horry County, South Carolina Genealogy Forum read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Horry County
Horry County, South Carolina External Links
- Historical Newspapers from South Carolina (1783 - 1975 )
- The Independent republic of Horry, 1670-1970
- Horry County, South Carolina Books - Amazon
- South Carolina Archives Summary Guide to Horry County Records
- Horry Co., South Carolina - FindaGrave
- A Historical Look at Horry County
- A History of Craven County - One of the Three Original Counties of Carolina
- A History of Horry County
- Horry County History