Hampton County, South Carolina Genealogy Guide
|Other SC Resources|
| SC Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
SC Ancestor Records
SC Military Databases
SC Data Collections
SC Historical Southspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Hampton County, South Carolina (Map It) was created on February 18, 1878 from Beaufort County. The county was named in honor of Wade Hampton, Congressman from South Carolina and once the nation's wealthiest citizen . Learn More About State of South Carolina History.
Hampton County is bordered by Bamberg County (north), Colleton County (east), Beaufort County (southeast), Jasper County (south), Columbus County, Georgia (southwest), Columbus County, Georgia (west), Allendale County (northwest).
Hampton County Cities and Towns include Brunson, Estill, Furman, Gifford, Hampton, Lena, Luray, McPhersonville, Scotia, Varnville, Yemassee. A Map of Hampton County, South Carolina contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Hampton County, South Carolina Courthouse Records
Hampton County, SC Courthouse
The Hampton County Courthouse is located in Hampton, South Carolina. In searching for genealogy records be sure to check the following counties as they were created from Hampton County: Jasper County in 1912 and Allendale County in 1919. Learn More About State of South Carolina Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Hampton county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Hampton County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1911 and Probate Records from 1878. The County Clerk of Probate Court has original jurisdiction over actions concerning the issuance of marriage licenses, the estate of a deceased person, the will of an individual, the estate of a minor or incapacitated person, trusts, and involuntary commitments.
- Hampton County Clerk of Court / Register of Deeds has Court Records from 1878, Divorce Records from since April 1949 and Land Records from 1878. The County Clerk of Court / Register of Deeds is divided into General Sessions and Common Pleas Court. The Circuit Court is a formal court of record. It records and maintain deeds, mortgages, plats, state and federal tax liens, mechanics liens, uniform commercial code filings, and other miscellaneous documents pertaining to real estate transactions.
- Hampton County Tax Assessor / Collector is responsible for the collection of taxes. Our office does not calculate a property’s taxable value (Assessor’s Office).
- Hampton County Health Department has birth and death records from 1915. Marriage records prior to 1950 are available from the Probate Court office. Divorce records since April 1949 are available from the County Clerk's office.
Hampton County, South Carolina Census Records
- Learn More: State of South Carolina Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Hampton County, South Carolina Vital Records
- Learn More: State of South Carolina Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1915 to present
- Marriage Records: from July 1950 to present. Contact the Office of Probate for earlier records.
- Divorce Records: from July 1962 to present. Contact the Clerk of Court for earlier records.
- Locations: South Carolina Office of Vital Statistics
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth and Death Certificate or Marriage and Divorce Certificate Applications.
- In Person: List of Vital Records Services Office locations
Hampton County, South Carolina Resources
- Hampton County Historical Society, PO Box 152, Hampton, SC 29924
- Hampton County, South Carolina Message Boards
- Hampton County, South Carolina Genealogy Forum read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Hampton County