Fairfield County, South Carolina Genealogy Guide
|Other SC Resources|
| SC Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
SC Ancestor Records
SC Military Databases
SC Data Collections
SC Historical Southspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Fairfield County, South Carolina (Map It) was created on 1785 from part of the Camden District. The county was named for the county's fair fields, as described by colonial governor Charles Cornwallis. Learn More About State of South Carolina History.
Fairfield County Cities and Towns include Jenkinsville, Ridgeway, Winnsboro. A Map of Fairfield County, South Carolina contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Fairfield County, South Carolina Courthouse Records
Fairfield County, SC Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Fairfield county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Fairfield County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1911 and Probate Records from 1787. The County Clerk of Probate Court has original jurisdiction over actions concerning the issuance of marriage licenses, the estate of a deceased person, the will of an individual, the estate of a minor or incapacitated person, trusts, and involuntary commitments.
- Fairfield County County Clerk of Court / Register of Deeds has Court Records from 1784, Divorce Records from since April 1949 and Land Records from 1785. The County Clerk of Court / Register of Deeds is divided into General Sessions and Common Pleas Court. The Circuit Court is a formal court of record. It records and maintain deeds, mortgages, plats, state and federal tax liens, mechanics liens, uniform commercial code filings, and other miscellaneous documents pertaining to real estate transactions.
- Fairfield County Tax Assessor / Collector is responsible for the collection of taxes. Our office does not calculate a property’s taxable value (Assessor’s Office).
- Fairfield County Health Department has birth and death records from 1915. Marriage records prior to 1950 are available from the Probate Court office. Divorce records since April 1949 are available from the County Clerk's office.
Fairfield County, South Carolina Census Records
- Learn More: State of South Carolina Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Fairfield County, South Carolina Vital Records
- Learn More: State of South Carolina Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1915 to present
- Marriage Records: from July 1950 to present. Contact the Office of Probate for earlier records.
- Divorce Records: from July 1962 to present. Contact the Clerk of Court for earlier records.
- Locations: South Carolina Office of Vital Statistics
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth and Death Certificate or Marriage and Divorce Certificate Applications.
- In Person: List of Vital Records Services Office locations
Fairfield County, South Carolina Resources
- Fairfield Chapter of the SC Genealogical Society
- Fairfield County Historical Society
- Fairfield Genealogy Room, P. O. Box 941, Winnsboro, SC 29180
- Fairfield County Museum
- Piedmont Historical Society
- Fairfield County, South Carolina Message Boards
- Fairfield County, South Carolina Genealogy Forum read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Fairfield County
Fairfield County, South Carolina External Links
- Historical Newspapers from South Carolina (1783 - 1975 )
- Fairfield County, South Carolina Books - Amazon
- South Carolina Archives Summary Guide to Fairfield County Records
- Fairfield Co., South Carolina - FindaGrave
- Crankfield family of Fairfield County
- Brown family of Doko/Blythewood, (Fairfield County) South Carlina
- Hogan family of Fairfield County, SC
- Ederington's history of Fairfield County, South Carolina
- A History of Fairfield County
- Fairfield County History