Berkeley County, South Carolina Genealogy Guide
|Other SC Resources|
| SC Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
SC Ancestor Records
SC Military Databases
SC Data Collections
SC Historical Southspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Berkeley County, South Carolina (Map It) was created on January 31, 1882 from Charleston County. The county was named in honor of William Berkeley, colonial proprietary governor and landowner . Learn More About State of South Carolina History.
Berkeley County is bordered by Georgetown County (northeast), Williamsburg County (northeast), Charleston County (south), Dorchester County (west), Orangeburg County (northwest), Clarendon County (northwest).
Berkeley County Cities and Towns include Bonneau, Charleston, Cross, Goose Creek, Gumville, Hanahan, Huger, Jamestown, Ladson, Moncks Corner, North Charleston, Pinopolis, St. Stephen, Summerville, Pineville. A Map of Berkeley County, South Carolina contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Berkeley County, South Carolina Courthouse Records
Berkeley County, SC Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Berkeley county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Berkeley County Register of Deeds has Land Records from 1883. The County Register of Deeds records and maintain deeds, mortgages, plats, state and federal tax liens, mechanics liens, uniform commercial code filings, and other miscellaneous documents pertaining to real estate transactions.
- Berkeley County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1911 and Probate Records from 1883. The County Clerk of Probate Court has original jurisdiction over actions concerning the issuance of marriage licenses, the estate of a deceased person, the will of an individual, the estate of a minor or incapacitated person, trusts, and involuntary commitments.
- Berkeley County Clerk of Court has Court Records from 1881 and Divorce Records from since April 1949. The County Clerk of Court is divided into General Sessions and Common Pleas Court. The Circuit Court is a formal court of record.
- Berkeley County Tax Assessor / Collector is responsible for the collection of taxes. Our office does not calculate a property’s taxable value (Assessor’s Office).
- Berkeley County Health Department has birth and death records from 1915. Marriage records prior to 1950 are available from the Probate Court office. Divorce records since April 1949 are available from the County Clerk's office.
Berkeley County, South Carolina Census Records
- Learn More: State of South Carolina Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: None
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Berkeley County, South Carolina Vital Records
- Learn More: State of South Carolina Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1915 to present
- Marriage Records: from July 1950 to present. Contact the Office of Probate for earlier records.
- Divorce Records: from July 1962 to present. Contact the Clerk of Court for earlier records.
- Locations: South Carolina Office of Vital Statistics
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth and Death Certificate or Marriage and Divorce Certificate Applications.
- In Person: List of Vital Records Services Office locations
Berkeley County, South Carolina Resources
- Berkeley County Historical Society
- Berkeley Museum
- Berkeley County, South Carolina Message Boards
- Berkeley County, South Carolina Genealogy Forum read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Berkeley County
Berkeley County, South Carolina External Links
- Historical Newspapers from South Carolina (1783 - 1975 )
- Berkeley County, South Carolina Books - Amazon
- South Carolina Archives Summary Guide to Berkeley County Records
- Berkeley Co., South Carolina - FindaGrave
- St. Thomas Parish Register, South Carolina, 1680-1884
- Monck's Corner, Berkeley County, South Carolina
- A History of Berkeley County
- Berkeley County History
- Berkeley County, South Carolina Links - Cyndi's List
- Berkeley Co. SCGenweb
- Berkeley County, South Carolina Ancestry Database Collections
- South Carolina Revolutionary War Units
- On the Eve of the Civil War: the Charleston, SC Directories for the Years 1859 and 1860
- Berkeley County, South Carolina Military Records
- Directory of Scots in the Carolinas, 1680-1830
- Charleston, South Carolina Directory, 1888-90
- City Directories for Charleston, South Carolina For the years 1803, 1806, 1807, and 1813