Aiken County, South Carolina Genealogy Guide
|Other SC Resources|
| SC Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
SC Ancestor Records
SC Military Databases
SC Data Collections
SC Historical Southspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Aiken County, South Carolina (Map It) was created on March 10, 1871 from Orangeburg County, Lexington County, Edgefield County, and Barnwell County. The county was named in honor of William Aiken, founder of the South Carolina Canal and Railroad Company. Learn More About State of South Carolina History.
Aiken County is bordered by Saluda County (north), Lexington County (northeast), Orangeburg County (east), Barnwell County (south), Burke County, Georgia (southwest), Edgefield County (west), Richmond County, Georgia (west).
Aiken County Cities and Towns include Aiken, Bath, Beech Island, Belvedere, Burnettown, Clearwater, Gloverville, Graniteville, Jackson, Langley, Monetta, New Ellenton, North Augusta, Perry, Salley, Vaucluse, Wagener, Warrenville, Windsor. A Map of Aiken County, South Carolina contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Aiken County, South Carolina Courthouse Records
Aiken County, SC Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Aiken county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Aiken County Registrar Mesne Conveyance has Land Records from 1872. The County Register of Deeds records and maintain deeds, mortgages, plats, state and federal tax liens, mechanics liens, uniform commercial code filings, and other miscellaneous documents pertaining to real estate transactions.
- Aiken County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1911 and Probate Records from 1872. The County Clerk of Probate Court has original jurisdiction over actions concerning the issuance of marriage licenses, the estate of a deceased person, the will of an individual, the estate of a minor or incapacitated person, trusts, and involuntary commitments.
- Aiken County Clerk of Court has Court Records from 1871 and Divorce Records from since April 1949. The County Clerk of Court is divided into General Sessions and Common Pleas Court. The Circuit Court is a formal court of record.
- Aiken County Tax Assessor / Collector is responsible for the collection of taxes. Our office does not calculate a property’s taxable value (Assessor’s Office).
- Aiken County Health Department has birth and death records from 1915. Marriage records prior to 1950 are available from the Probate Court office. Divorce records since April 1949 are available from the County Clerk's office.
Aiken County, South Carolina Census Records
- Learn More: State of South Carolina Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Aiken County, South Carolina Vital Records
- Learn More: State of South Carolina Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1915 to present
- Marriage Records: from July 1950 to present. Contact the Office of Probate for earlier records.
- Divorce Records: from July 1962 to present. Contact the Clerk of Court for earlier records.
- Locations: South Carolina Office of Vital Statistics
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth and Death Certificate or Marriage and Divorce Certificate Applications.
- In Person: List of Vital Records Services Office locations
Aiken County, South Carolina Resources
- Aiken County Historical Commission, 433 Newberry Street, SW, Aiken, SC 29801; (803) 649-4658
- Aiken County Historical Society, PO Box 1775, Aiken, SC 29802; (803) 649-9653
- Aiken-Barnwell Genealogical Society
- Aiken County, South Carolina Message Boards
- Aiken County, South Carolina Genealogy Forum read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Aiken County
Aiken County, South Carolina External Links
- Historical Newspapers from South Carolina (1783 - 1975 )
- Aiken Standard (Aiken, South Carolina)
- Aiken County, South Carolina Books - Amazon
- South Carolina Archives Summary Guide to Aiken County Records
- Aiken County, South Carolina Cemetery Inscriptions: Graniteville
- Aiken County, South Carolina Cemetery Inscriptions
- Aiken County, South Carolina: Cemetery Records
- Aiken Co., South Carolina - FindaGrave
- Ninety years in Aiken County : memoirs of Aiken County and its people
- A History of Aiken County
- Aiken County History