Bristol County, Rhode Island Genealogy Guide
|Other RI Resources|
| RI Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
RI Ancestor Records
RI Military Databases
RI Data Collections
RI Historical Rhodespapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Bristol County, Rhode Island (Map It) was created on February 17, 1747 from Newport County. Created from land gained from Bristol County, Massachusetts after resolution of a boundary dispute between the two colonies. The county was named for City of Bristol, England. Learn More About State of Rhode Island History
Bristol County, Rhode Island Courthouse Records
Bristol County, RI Towns
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Bristol county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Barrington was established in 1653 and incorporated in 1770 from Barrington, Massachusetts. It has Land Records from 1770, Probate Records from 1770 and Court Records from 1770. Villages include , Annawomscutt, Bay Spring, Hampden Meadows, Nyatt, Rumstick Point, West Barrington. Originally created in 1717 as Barrington, Massachusetts, it was ceded to Rhode Island in 1747 as part of the town of Warren. Barrington, Rhode Island, a new town, was set off from Warren in 1770. Barrington, Massachusetts records between 1717 and 1747 are in Bristol County; 1747—70 in the Warren town clerk’s office. This office has the meeting records for the town since 1718More info.
- Bristol was established in 1680 and incorporated in 1746 from Bristol, Massachusetts. It has Land Records from 1747, Probate Records from 1747 and Court Records from 1747. Villages include Beach Terrace, Bristol Highlands, Bristol Narrows, Castle Island, Popasquash Point, Seal Island, Walker Island. Part of Plymouth Colony, 1681—86, then Bristol Co. Mass. Ceded to Rhode Island, 1747. See Taunton, Massachusetts, for earlier records. More info.
- Warren was established in 1620 and incorporated in 1747 from Barrington, Rehoboth and Swansea, Mass.. It has Land Records from 1747, Probate Records from 1747 and Court Records from 1747. Villages include Burr Hill, Coggeshall, East Warren, Kickamuit, South Warren, Touisset. See Bristol County, Northern District, Taunton, Massachusetts, for earlier records. More info
Bristol County, Rhode Island Census Records
- Learn More: State of Rhode Island Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- RI Census Substitutes Records: 1740-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1774, 1777, 1885, 1905, 1915, 1925, 1935
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Bristol County, Rhode Island Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Rhode Island Vital Records
- Birth and Marriage Records: for prior 100 years to present. For records older than 100 years may be obtained from the city or town hall where the event happened or the Rhode Island State Archives.
- Death Records: for prior 50 years to present. For records older than 50 years may be obtained from the city or town hall where the event happened or the Rhode Island State Archives.
- Divorce Records: for Divorce records 1962 to present are located at the Family Court, Garrahy Judicial Complex. Divorce Records prior to 1962 are at the RI Supreme Court Judicial Records Center.
- Locations: State of Rhode Island Department of Health, Rhode Island State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage or Civil Union Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Rhode Island Dept of Health, 3 Capitol Hill, Rm. 101, Providence, RI 02908-5097; (401) 222-2811
Bristol County, Rhode Island Resources
- Barrington Preservation Society
- Bristol Historical And Preservation Society Library & Museum
- Massasoit Historical Association
- Bristol County, Rhode Island Message Boards
- Bristol County, Rhode Island Genealogy Forum
Bristol County, Rhode Island External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Rhode Island (1732–1921)
- Bristol County, Rhode Island Books - Amazon
- The Juniper Hill Cemetery
- Bristol Co., Rhode Island - FindaGrave
- A history of Barrington, Rhode Island
- Sketches of old Bristol
- Rehoboth Area, Bristol County, Massachusetts History
- Tales of an old sea port : a general sketch of the history of Bristol, Rhode Island
- The origin and progress of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Warren, R.I.