Venango County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Guide
|Other PA Resources|
|PA Birth, Death, Marriage,
Divorce & Death Records
PA Ancestor Records
PA Military Databases
PA Data Collections
PA Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Venango County, Pennsylvania (Map It) was created on March 12, 1800 from Allegheny County and Lycoming County. The county was named for a corruption of the Lenape word onenge, meaning "otter". Learn More About State of Pennsylvania History
Venango County is bordered by Crawford County (north), Warren County (north), Forest County (northeast), Clarion County (east), Butler County (south), Mercer County (west). A Map of Venango County, Pennsylvania contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Venango County Townships include Allegheny, Canal, Cherrytree, Clinton, Cornplanter, Cranberry, Frenchcreek, Irwin, Jackson, Mineral, Oakland, Oilcreek, Pinegrove, Plum, President, Richland, Rockland, Sandycreek, Scrubgrass, Victory.
Venango County Boroughs include Barkeyville, Clintonville, Cooperstown, Emlenton, Pleasantville, Polk, Rouseville, Sugarcreek, Utica.
Venango County Cities & Towns include Franklin, Oil City. See also Venango County Municipalities Incorporation Dates.
Venango County, Pennsylvania Courthouse Records
The Venango County Courthouse is located in Franklin, Pennsylvania. Venango County was attached to Crawford County until 1805. Learn More About State of Pennsylvania Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Venango county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Venango County Recorder of Deeds has Land Records from 1819. The County Recorder of Deeds is responsible for recording documents related to property. Documents recorded consist of, but are not limited to, deeds, mortgages, restrictions, notaries, public and elected county officers. Other documents, such as Military Service Discharges, foreign birth certificates, as well as obscure documents like cattle brands, are also recorded here.
- Venango County Prothonotary / Clerk of Courts has Court & Divorce Records from 1820. The Prothonotary / Clerk of Courts has been the clerk of court of common pleas since 1707. Court records here include divorces, naturalizations, peddlers' licenses, registration of attorneys, oaths of county officers, equity, sheriff's sales, juror lists, some tax records, and some civil court records.Other court records are with the clerk of courts.
- Venango County Register of Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk has Marriage & Probate Records from 1820 and Birth & Death Records from before Jan 1906. The Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk are often the same person, sometimes sharing the responsibility of the recorder of deeds and clerk of courts as well. The Register of Wills' principal duties include probating wills and accepting for filing all documents necessary to complete the administration of a decedent's estate. The Clerk of Orphans' Court, our office serves as the filing office and custodian of records for matters involving adoptions, guardianships and estate litigation. The office also issues all marriage licenses. Since 1885 the clerk of the orphans' court in each county has had the responsibility of recording marriages.
- Venango County Tax Assessor Office has tax records but may also be in the county commissioners' office or with the prothonotary.
Venango County, Pennsylvania Census Records
- Learn More: State of Pennsylvania Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Venango County, Pennsylvania Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Pennsylvania Vital Records
- Birth & Death Records: 1906 to present.
- Marriage Records: does not have marriage records. The marriage records should be available in the County Court House.
- Divorce Records: does not have marriage records. The marriage records should be available in the County Court House.
- Locations: Pennsylvania Office of Vital Statistics, Pennsylvania State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Division of Vital Records, 101 South Mercer Street, Central Building, Room 401, New Castle, PA 16103; PH (724) 656-3100
Venango County, Pennsylvania Resources
- State of Pennsylvania Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania Archives - Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission series contains records of pennsylvania, from 1664 to 1780, and includes military, marriage, tax and land records. This is a Free Database.
Venango County, Pennsylvania External Links
- Historical Maps of Venango County, Pennsylvania - PA D.O.T.
- Historical Newspapers from Pennsylvania (1719 - 1997)
- Derrick (Oil City, Pennsylvania)
- Oil City Derrick (Oil City, Pennsylvania)
- Blizzard (Oil City, Pennsylvania)
- The Venango Spectator (Franklin, Pennsylvania)
- Scrapbook of newspaper clippings on Venango and Franklin Counties, 1871-84
- Venango County, Pennsylvania Books - Amazon
- County of Venango, state of Pennsylvania, will book number 1
- Venango Co., Pennsylvania - FindaGrave
- History of Venango County, Pennsylvania
- Venango County, Pennsylvania Links - Cyndi's List
- Venango Co. PAGenweb
- Venango Co. Data Collections
- Titusville, Oil City, Franklin and Warren directory for 1883
- Titusville, Oil City, Franklin and Warren directory for 
- Hitchcock's directory of Titusville, Pa., 1915
- Latham's Titusville city quadruple directory, 1926
- Titusville, Oil City, Franklin, Warren, Bradford, etc. directory, 1876-77
- Latham's Titusville city quadruple directory, 1919
- Latham's Titusville city quadruple directory, 1922
- Titusville, Franklin and Oil City directory for 1871
- Kirwin's Titusville, Pa. directory, 1909-10
- Kirwin's Titusville, Pa. directory, 1911-12
- Titusville, Oil City, and Franklin directory for 1885-6
- Titusville directory
- Venango County, Pennsylvania Military Records