Northumberland County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Guide
|Other PA Resources|
| PA Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
PA Ancestor Records
PA Military Databases
PA Data Collections
PA Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Northumberland County, Pennsylvania (Map It) was created on March 21, 1772, from parts of Berks County, Bedford County, Cumberland County, Lancaster County and Northampton County. The county was named for the English county of Northumberland. Learn More About State of Pennsylvania History
Northumberland County is bordered by Lycoming County (north), Montour County (northeast), Columbia County (east), Schuylkill County (southeast), Dauphin County (south), Perry County (southwest), Juniata County (west), Snyder County (west), Union County (west). A Map of Northumberland County, Pennsylvania contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Northumberland County Townships include Coal, Delaware, East Cameron, East Chillisquaque, Jackson, Jordan, Lewis, Little Mahanoy, Lowugusta, Lower Mahanoy, Mount Carmel, Point, Ralpho, Rockefeller, Rush, Shamokin, Turbot, Uppugusta, Upper Mahanoy, Washington, West Cameron, West Chillisquaque, Zerbe.
Northumberland County Boroughs include Herndon, Kulpmont, Marion Heights, McEwensville, Milton, Mount Carmel, Northumberland, Riverside, Snydertown, Turbotville, Watsontown.
Northumberland County Cities & Towns include Shamokin, Sunbury. See also Northumberland County Municipalities Incorporation Dates.
Northumberland County, Pennsylvania Courthouse Records
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Northumberland county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Northumberland County Recorder of Deeds has Land Records from 1770. The County Recorder of Deeds is responsible for recording documents related to property. Documents recorded consist of, but are not limited to, deeds, mortgages, restrictions, notaries, public and elected county officers. Other documents, such as Military Service Discharges, foreign birth certificates, as well as obscure documents like cattle brands, are also recorded here.
- Northumberland County Prothonotary / Clerk of Courts has Court & Divorce Records from 1771. The Prothonotary / Clerk of Courts has been the clerk of court of common pleas since 1707. Court records here include divorces, naturalizations, peddlers' licenses, registration of attorneys, oaths of county officers, equity, sheriff's sales, juror lists, some tax records, and some civil court records.Other court records are with the clerk of courts.
- Northumberland County Register of Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk has Marriage & Probate Records from 1771 and Birth & Death Records from before Jan 1906. The Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk are often the same person, sometimes sharing the responsibility of the recorder of deeds and clerk of courts as well. The Register of Wills' principal duties include probating wills and accepting for filing all documents necessary to complete the administration of a decedent's estate. The Clerk of Orphans' Court, our office serves as the filing office and custodian of records for matters involving adoptions, guardianships and estate litigation. The office also issues all marriage licenses. Since 1885 the clerk of the orphans' court in each county has had the responsibility of recording marriages.
- Northumberland County Tax Assessor Office has tax records but may also be in the county commissioners' office or with the prothonotary.
Northumberland County, Pennsylvania Census Records
- Learn More: State of Pennsylvania Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Northumberland County, Pennsylvania Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Pennsylvania Vital Records
- Birth & Death Records: 1906 to present.
- Marriage Records: does not have marriage records. The marriage records should be available in the County Court House.
- Divorce Records: does not have marriage records. The marriage records should be available in the County Court House.
- Locations: Pennsylvania Office of Vital Statistics, Pennsylvania State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Division of Vital Records, 101 South Mercer Street, Central Building, Room 401, New Castle, PA 16103; PH (724) 656-3100
Northumberland County, Pennsylvania Resources
- Pennsylvania Archives - Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission series contains records of pennsylvania, from 1664 to 1780, and includes military, marriage, tax and land records. This is a Free Database.
- Northumberland County Historical Society
- Central Pennsylvania Genealogical Pioneers, 1150 N. Front Street, Sunbury, PA 17801
- Northumberland County, Pennsylvania Message Boards
- Northumberland County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Forum read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Northumberland County
Northumberland County, Pennsylvania External Links
- Historical Maps of Northumberland County, Pennsylvania - PA D.O.T.
- Historical Newspapers from Pennsylvania (1719 - 1997)
- North Hills News Record (North Hills, Pennsylvania)
- Local historical and biographical notes from the files of newspapers published in Easton, Penna.
- Northumberland County, Pennsylvania Books - Amazon
- Northumberland Co., Pennsylvania - FindaGrave
- Northumberland County, Pennsylvania, 1774-1846: Schwaben Creek
- Northumberland County, Pennsylvania, 1777-1854: Stone Valley Lutheran and Reformed Congregations
- History and topography of Northumberland, Huntingdon, Mifflin, Centre, Union, Columbia, Juniata and Clinton Counties, Pa.