McKean County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Guide
|Other PA Resources|
| PA Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
PA Ancestor Records
PA Military Databases
PA Data Collections
PA Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
McKean County, Pennsylvania (Map It) was created on March 26, 1804 from Lycoming County. The county was named in honor of Thomas McKean, second Governor of Pennsylvania. Learn More About State of Pennsylvania History
McKean County is bordered by Cattaraugus County, New York (north), Allegany County, New York (northeast), Potter County (east), Cameron County (southeast), Elk County (south), Forest County (southwest), Warren County (west). A Map of McKean County, Pennsylvania contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
McKean County Townships include Annin, Bradford, Ceres, Corydon, Eldred, Foster, Hamilton, Hamlin, Keating, Lafayette, Liberty, Norwich, Otto, Sergeant, Wetmore.
McKean County Boroughs include Eldred, Kane, Lewis Run, Mount Jewett, Pollegany, Smethport.
McKean County Cities & Towns include Bradford. See also McKean County Municipalities Incorporation Dates.
McKean County, Pennsylvania Courthouse Records
The McKean County Courthouse is located in Smethport, Pennsylvania. McKean County was attached to Centre County until 1814 and to Lycoming County for judicial and elective purposes, McKean County was not fully organized until 1826. Learn More About State of Pennsylvania Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in McKean county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- McKean County Recorder of Deeds has Land Records from 1827. The County Recorder of Deeds is responsible for recording documents related to property. Documents recorded consist of, but are not limited to, deeds, mortgages, restrictions, notaries, public and elected county officers. Other documents, such as Military Service Discharges, foreign birth certificates, as well as obscure documents like cattle brands, are also recorded here.
- McKean County Prothonotary / Clerk of Courts has Court & Divorce Records from 1827. The Prothonotary / Clerk of Courts has been the clerk of court of common pleas since 1707. Court records here include divorces, naturalizations, peddlers' licenses, registration of attorneys, oaths of county officers, equity, sheriff's sales, juror lists, some tax records, and some civil court records.Other court records are with the clerk of courts.
- McKean County Register of Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk has Marriage & Probate Records from 1827 and Birth & Death Records from before Jan 1906. The Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk are often the same person, sometimes sharing the responsibility of the recorder of deeds and clerk of courts as well. The Register of Wills' principal duties include probating wills and accepting for filing all documents necessary to complete the administration of a decedent's estate. The Clerk of Orphans' Court, our office serves as the filing office and custodian of records for matters involving adoptions, guardianships and estate litigation. The office also issues all marriage licenses. Since 1885 the clerk of the orphans' court in each county has had the responsibility of recording marriages.
- McKean County Tax Assessor Office has tax records but may also be in the county commissioners' office or with the prothonotary.
McKean County, Pennsylvania Census Records
- Learn More: State of Pennsylvania Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
McKean County, Pennsylvania Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Pennsylvania Vital Records
- Birth & Death Records: 1906 to present.
- Marriage Records: does not have marriage records. The marriage records should be available in the County Court House.
- Divorce Records: does not have marriage records. The marriage records should be available in the County Court House.
- Locations: Pennsylvania Office of Vital Statistics, Pennsylvania State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Division of Vital Records, 101 South Mercer Street, Central Building, Room 401, New Castle, PA 16103; PH (724) 656-3100
McKean County, Pennsylvania Resources
- Pennsylvania Archives - Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission series contains records of pennsylvania, from 1664 to 1780, and includes military, marriage, tax and land records. This is a Free Database.
- McKean County Genealogical Society, Box 207A Derrick City, PA 16727
- McKean County Historical Society
- Painted Hills Genealogy Society
- McKean County, Pennsylvania Message Boards
- McKean County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Forum read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for McKean County
McKean County, Pennsylvania External Links
- Historical Maps of McKean County, Pennsylvania - PA D.O.T.
- Historical Newspapers from Pennsylvania (1719 - 1997)
- McKean County Miner (Smethport, Pennsylvania)
- McKean County, Pennsylvania Books - Amazon
- McKean Co., Pennsylvania - FindaGrave
- History of the counties of McKean, Elk, Cameron and Potter, Pennsylvania
- History of the counties of McKean, Elk and Forest, Pennsylvania