Delaware County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Guide
|Other PA Resources|
| PA Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
PA Ancestor Records
PA Military Databases
PA Data Collections
PA Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Delaware County, Pennsylvania (Map It) was created on September 6, 1789 from Chester County. The county was named for the Delaware River, itself named for the Delaware tribe. Learn More About State of Pennsylvania History
Delaware County is bordered by Montgomery County (north), Philadelphia County (east), Gloucester County, New Jersey (southeast), New Castle County, Delaware (southwest), Chester County (west). A Map of Delaware County, Pennsylvania contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Delaware County Townships include Aston, Bethel, Chadds Ford, Chester, Concord, Darby, Edgmont, Haverford, Lower Chichester, Marple, Middletown, Nether Providence, Newtown, Radnor, Ridley, Springfield, Thornbury, Tinicum, Upper Chichester, Upper Darby, Upper Providence.
Delaware County Boroughs include Aldan, Brookhaven, Chester Heights, Clifton Heights, Collingdale, Colwyn, Darby, East Lansdowne, Eddystone, Folcroft, Folsom, Glenolden, Lansdowne, Marcus Hook, Media, Millbourne, Morton, Norwood, Parkside, Prospect Park, Ridley Park, Rose Valley, Rutledge, Sharon Hill, Swarthmore, Trainer, Upland, Yeadon.
Delaware County Cities & Towns include ?. See also Delaware County Municipalities Incorporation Dates.
Delaware County, Pennsylvania Courthouse Records
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Delaware county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Delaware County Recorder of Deeds has Land Records from 1789. The County Recorder of Deeds is responsible for recording documents related to property. Documents recorded consist of, but are not limited to, deeds, mortgages, restrictions, notaries, public and elected county officers. Other documents, such as Military Service Discharges, foreign birth certificates, as well as obscure documents like cattle brands, are also recorded here.
- Delaware County Prothonotary / Clerk of Courts has Court & Divorce Records from 1789. The Prothonotary / Clerk of Courts has been the clerk of court of common pleas since 1707. Court records here include divorces, naturalizations, peddlers' licenses, registration of attorneys, oaths of county officers, equity, sheriff's sales, juror lists, some tax records, and some civil court records.Other court records are with the clerk of courts.
- Delaware County Register of Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk has Marriage & Probate Records from 1789 and Birth & Death Records from before Jan 1906. The Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk are often the same person, sometimes sharing the responsibility of the recorder of deeds and clerk of courts as well. The Register of Wills' principal duties include probating wills and accepting for filing all documents necessary to complete the administration of a decedent's estate. The Clerk of Orphans' Court, our office serves as the filing office and custodian of records for matters involving adoptions, guardianships and estate litigation. The office also issues all marriage licenses. Since 1885 the clerk of the orphans' court in each county has had the responsibility of recording marriages.
- Delaware County Tax Assessor Office has tax records but may also be in the county commissioners' office or with the prothonotary.
Delaware County, Pennsylvania Census Records
- Learn More: State of Pennsylvania Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Delaware County, Pennsylvania Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Pennsylvania Vital Records
- Birth & Death Records: 1906 to present.
- Marriage Records: does not have marriage records. The marriage records should be available in the County Court House.
- Divorce Records: does not have marriage records. The marriage records should be available in the County Court House.
- Locations: Pennsylvania Office of Vital Statistics, Pennsylvania State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Division of Vital Records, 101 South Mercer Street, Central Building, Room 401, New Castle, PA 16103; PH (724) 656-3100
Delaware County, Pennsylvania Resources
- Pennsylvania Archives - Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission series contains records of pennsylvania, from 1664 to 1780, and includes military, marriage, tax and land records. This is a Free Database.
- Delaware County Historical Society
- Delaware Counry Achives
- Delaware County, Pennsylvania Message Boards
- Delaware County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Forum read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Delaware County
Delaware County, Pennsylvania External Links
- Historical Maps of Delaware County, Pennsylvania - PA D.O.T.
- Delaware County Pa. Maps
- Historical landmarks with map of Chester
- Historical Newspapers from Pennsylvania (1719 - 1997)
- Delaware County Daily Times (Chester, Pennsylvania)
- Delaware County Daily Times (Primos, Pennsylvania)
- Chester Times (Chester, Pennsylvania)
- Delaware County, Pennsylvania Books - Amazon
- Delaware Co., Pennsylvania - FindaGrave
- Alphabetic biographical catalog, the Crozer Theological Seminary, 1855-1933
- History of Delaware County, Pennsylvania
- A history of Delaware County, Pennsylvania, and its people
- Biographical and historical cyclopedia of Delaware County, Pennsylvania
- Delaware County, Pennsylvania Links - Cyndi's List
- Delaware Co. PAGenweb
- Delaware Co. Data Collections
- Chester City, Pennsylvania Directory, 1888-89
- Boyd's directory of Delaware County, Penna., 1899-1900
- Boyd's directory of Delaware County, Penna., 1897-98
- Chester city directory, 1891-92
- Spencer's Chester city directory for 1898-99
- Spencer's Chester city directory for 1895-96
- Spencer's Chester city directory for 1893-94
- Chester city directory, 1889-90
- Chester city directory, 1885-86
- Chester city directory, 1883-84
- Chester city directory, 1887-88
- Farm and business directory of Delaware County, Pennsylvania
- Chester city directory, 1882-83
- Business directory of Delaware County, Pa., for 1893-95
- Chester directory for 1872-73
- The Chester city directory, 1880-81
- Chester and Delaware Co. directory for 1869-70
- The Chester city directory, 1879-80
- Directory of the borough of Lansdowne, East Lansdowne, and vicinity, 1910
- Delaware County, Pennsylvania Military Records