Centre County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Guide
|Other PA Resources|
| PA Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
PA Ancestor Records
PA Military Databases
PA Data Collections
PA Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Centre County, Pennsylvania (Map It) was created on February 13, 1800, from parts of Lycoming County, Mifflin County, Huntingdon County and Northampton County. The county was named for the Centre Furnance, the first industrial facility in the area. Learn More About State of Pennsylvania History
Centre County is bordered by Clinton County (north), Union County (east), Mifflin County (southeast), Huntingdon County (south), Blair County (south), Clearfield County (west), Cambria County (southwest). A Map of Centre County, Pennsylvania contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Centre County Townships include Benner, Boggs, Burnside, College, Curtin, Ferguson, Gregg, Haines, Halfmoon, Harris, Howard, Huston, Liberty, Marion, Miles, Patton, Penn, Rush, Potter, Snow Shoe, Spring, Taylor, Union, Walker, Worth.
Centre County Boroughs include Bellefonte, Centre Hall, Howard, Milesburg, Millheim, Philipsburg, Port Matilda, Snow Shoe, South Philipsburg, State College, Unionville. See also Centre County Municipalities Incorporation Dates.
Centre County, Pennsylvania Courthouse Records
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Centre county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Centre County Recorder of Deeds has Land Records from 1801. The County Recorder of Deeds is responsible for recording documents related to property. Documents recorded consist of, but are not limited to, deeds, mortgages, restrictions, notaries, public and elected county officers. Other documents, such as Military Service Discharges, foreign birth certificates, as well as obscure documents like cattle brands, are also recorded here.
- Centre County Prothonotary / Clerk of Courts has Court & Divorce Records from 1800. The Prothonotary / Clerk of Courts has been the clerk of court of common pleas since 1707. Court records here include divorces, naturalizations, peddlers' licenses, registration of attorneys, oaths of county officers, equity, sheriff's sales, juror lists, some tax records, and some civil court records.Other court records are with the clerk of courts.
- Centre County Register of Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk has Marriage & Probate Records from 1800 and Birth & Death Records from before Jan 1906. The Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk are often the same person, sometimes sharing the responsibility of the recorder of deeds and clerk of courts as well. The Register of Wills' principal duties include probating wills and accepting for filing all documents necessary to complete the administration of a decedent's estate. The Clerk of Orphans' Court, our office serves as the filing office and custodian of records for matters involving adoptions, guardianships and estate litigation. The office also issues all marriage licenses. Since 1885 the clerk of the orphans' court in each county has had the responsibility of recording marriages.
- Centre County Tax Assessor Office has tax records but may also be in the county commissioners' office or with the prothonotary.
Centre County, Pennsylvania Census Records
- Learn More: State of Pennsylvania Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Centre County, Pennsylvania Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Pennsylvania Vital Records
- Birth & Death Records: 1906 to present.
- Marriage Records: does not have marriage records. The marriage records should be available in the County Court House.
- Divorce Records: does not have marriage records. The marriage records should be available in the County Court House.
- Locations: Pennsylvania Office of Vital Statistics, Pennsylvania State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Division of Vital Records, 101 South Mercer Street, Central Building, Room 401, New Castle, PA 16103; PH (724) 656-3100
Centre County, Pennsylvania Resources
- Pennsylvania Archives - Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission series contains records of pennsylvania, from 1664 to 1780, and includes military, marriage, tax and land records. This is a Free Database.
- Centre County Genealogical Society
- Centre County Historical Society
- Centre County, Pennsylvania Message Boards
- Centre County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Forum read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Centre County
Centre County, Pennsylvania External Links
- Historical Maps of Centre County, Pennsylvania - PA D.O.T.
- Historical Newspapers from Pennsylvania (1719 - 1997)
- Centre County, Pennsylvania Books - Amazon
- Slave Records 1803-1820
- Historical Records Imaging Project
- Wills of Centre County, Pa., 1800-1853
- Centre Co., Pennsylvania - FindaGrave
- Pennsylvania Quaker Records
- Historical Sketches
- Commemorative biographical record of central Pennsylvania
- History and topography of Northumberland, Huntingdon, Mifflin, Centre, Union, Columbia, Juniata and Clinton Counties, Pa.