Linn County, Oregon Genealogy Guide
|Other OR Resources|
| OR Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
OR Ancestor Records
OR Military Databases
OR Data Collections
OR Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Linn County, Oregon (Map It) was created on December 28, 1847 from the southern portion of Champoeg County. The county was named in honor of U.S. Senator Lewis F. Linn (1795 - 1843) of Missouri, author of the Donation Land Act, which provided free land to settlers in the West. Learn More About State of Oregon History.
Linn County Cities and Towns include Albany (also in Benton County), Brownsville, Gates, Halsey, Harrisburg, Idanha (also in Marion County), Lebanon, Lyons, Mill City, Millersburg, Scio, Sodaville, Sweet Home, Tangent, Waterloo. A Map of Linn County, Oregon contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Linn County, Oregon Courthouse Records
Linn County, OR Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Linn county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Linn County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1850 and Land Records from 1853. The County Clerk has many duties which include vital statistics (births, deaths, marriage) and keeps a permanent public record of real estate transactions.
- Linn County Circuit Court Clerk has Court Records from 1850 and Probate Records from 1854. The County Circuit Court Clerk has general jurisdiction over all civil and criminal cases, and typically handle cases beyond the jurisdiction of other courts. Circuit Courts also handle divorce, child custody, disputes over title to land, probate matters, juvenile cases, guardianship, adoption, involuntary commitment, and requests for injunctions.
- Linn County Records Inventory The Oregon Historical County Records Guide includes descriptions and listings for each type of record in the inventory. Each series description includes a title and a description of how the records are used (function); types of records that may be included in each category (physical content); type of information that may be found (informational content)
Linn County, Oregon Census Records
- Learn More: State of Oregon Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- Territory & State Population Schedules: 1842, 1843, 1845, 1849, 1853, 1854, 1855, 1856, 1857, 1858, 1859, 1865, 1875, 1885, 1895, 1905.
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Linn County, Oregon Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Oregon Vital Records
- Birth & Death Records: from 1903 to present
- Marriage Records: from 1911 to present
- Divorce Records: from 1925 to present
- Locations: Oregon Vital Records - Center for Health Statistics, Oregon State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Oregon Vital Records - Center for Health Statistics, 800 NE Oregon Street, Ste 205, Portland, OR 97293; (971) 673-1190
Linn County, Oregon Resources
- Linn County Historical Society
- Linn County Historical Museum
- Oregon Historical County Records Guide
- Linn County, Oregon Message Boards
- Linn County, Oregon Genealogy Forum