Klamath County, Oregon Genealogy Guide
|Other OR Resources|
| OR Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
OR Ancestor Records
OR Military Databases
OR Data Collections
OR Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Klamath County, Oregon (Map It) was created on October 17, 1882 from the western part of Lake County. The county was named for the Klamath or Clamitte tribe, which has had a presence in the area for 10,000 years. Learn More About State of Oregon History.
Klamath County is bordered by Jackson County (west), Douglas County (northwest), Lane County (northwest), Deschutes County (north), Lake County (east), Siskiyou County, California (south), Modoc County, California (south).
Klamath County Cities and Towns include Bonanza, Chiloquin, Klamath Falls , Malin , Merrill. A Map of Klamath County, Oregon contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Klamath County, Oregon Courthouse Records
Klamath County, OR Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Klamath county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Klamath County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1882 and Land Records from 1870. The County Clerk has many duties which include vital statistics (births, deaths, marriage) and keeps a permanent public record of real estate transactions.
- Klamath County Circuit Court Clerk has Court Records from 1882 and Probate Records from 1872. The County Circuit Court Clerk has general jurisdiction over all civil and criminal cases, and typically handle cases beyond the jurisdiction of other courts. Circuit Courts also handle divorce, child custody, disputes over title to land, probate matters, juvenile cases, guardianship, adoption, involuntary commitment, and requests for injunctions.
- Klamath County Records Inventory The Oregon Historical County Records Guide includes descriptions and listings for each type of record in the inventory. Each series description includes a title and a description of how the records are used (function); types of records that may be included in each category (physical content); type of information that may be found (informational content)
Klamath County, Oregon Census Records
- Learn More: State of Oregon Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- Territory & State Population Schedules: 1885, 1895, 1905.
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Klamath County, Oregon Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Oregon Vital Records
- Birth & Death Records: from 1903 to present
- Marriage Records: from 1911 to present
- Divorce Records: from 1925 to present
- Locations: Oregon Vital Records - Center for Health Statistics, Oregon State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Oregon Vital Records - Center for Health Statistics, 800 NE Oregon Street, Ste 205, Portland, OR 97293; (971) 673-1190
Klamath County, Oregon Resources
- Klamath Basin Genealogical Society
- Klamath County Museum
- Oregon Historical County Records Guide
- Klamath County, Oregon Message Boards
- Klamath County, Oregon Genealogy Forum