Grant County, Oregon Genealogy Guide
|Other OR Resources|
| OR Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
OR Ancestor Records
OR Military Databases
OR Data Collections
OR Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Grant County, Oregon (Map It) was created on October 14, 1864 from Wasco County and Umatilla County. The county was named in honor of Ulysses S. Grant (1822 - 1885), army officer who served in the Oregon Territory; a Union general in the American Civil War at the time of the county's creation; and subsequently President of the United States (1869 - 1877). Learn More About State of Oregon History.
Grant County is bordered by Malheur County (southeast), Harney County (south), Crook County (west), Wheeler County (west), Morrow County (north), Umatilla County (north), Union County (northeast), Baker County (east).
Grant County Cities and Towns include Monument, Mount Vernon, Prairie City, Seneca, Canyon City, Dayville, Granite, John Day, Long Creek A Map of Grant County, Oregon contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Grant County, Oregon Courthouse Records
Grant County, OR Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Grant county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Grant County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1864 and Land Records from 1862. The County Clerk has many duties which include vital statistics (births, deaths, marriage) and keeps a permanent public record of real estate transactions.
- Grant County Circuit Court Clerk has Court Records from 1864 and Probate Records from 1864. The County Circuit Court Clerk has general jurisdiction over all civil and criminal cases, and typically handle cases beyond the jurisdiction of other courts. Circuit Courts also handle divorce, child custody, disputes over title to land, probate matters, juvenile cases, guardianship, adoption, involuntary commitment, and requests for injunctions.
- Grant County Records Inventory The Oregon Historical County Records Guide includes descriptions and listings for each type of record in the inventory. Each series description includes a title and a description of how the records are used (function); types of records that may be included in each category (physical content); type of information that may be found (informational content)
Grant County, Oregon Census Records
- Learn More: State of Oregon Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- Territory & State Population Schedules: 1865, 1875, 1885, 1895, 1905.
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Grant County, Oregon Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Oregon Vital Records
- Birth & Death Records: from 1903 to present
- Marriage Records: from 1911 to present
- Divorce Records: from 1925 to present
- Locations: Oregon Vital Records - Center for Health Statistics, Oregon State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Oregon Vital Records - Center for Health Statistics, 800 NE Oregon Street, Ste 205, Portland, OR 97293; (971) 673-1190
Grant County, Oregon Resources
- Grant County Oregon Genealogical Society, 281 W. Main, John Day, Oregon 97845
- Oregon Historical County Records Guide
- Grant County, Oregon Message Boards
- Grant County, Oregon Genealogy Forum