Richland County, Ohio Genealogy GuideOH Birth, Death, Marriage,
Divorce & Death Records
OH Ancestor Records
OH Military Databases
OH Data Collections
OH Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Richland County, Ohio (Map It) was created on March 1, 1808 from Franklin County and Knox County. This county was named for the Descriptive of the soil in the area . Learn More About State of Ohio History
Richland County is bordered by Huron County (north), Ashland County (east), Knox County (south), Morrow County (southwest), Crawford County (west) .. A Map of Richland County, Ohio contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Richland County Cities and Towns include Crestline, Mansfield, Ontario, Shelby, Bellville, Butler, Lexington, Lucas, Plymouth, Shiloh. Other communities include Newville, Olivesburg, Winchester. A Map of Richland County, Ohio contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Richland County Townships include Blooming Grove, Butler, Cass, Franklin, Jackson, Jefferson, Madison, Mifflin, Monroe, Perry, Plymouth, Sandusky, Sharon, Springfield, Troy, Washington, Weller, Worthington.
Richland County, Ohio Courthouse Records
Richland County, OH Courthouse
Richland County, OH Township Map
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Richland county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Richland County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1813 and Probate Records from 1813. The County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts.
- Richland County Recorder has Land Records from 1814. The County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Richland County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas has Court Records from 1819. The County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- The Richland County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
Richland County, Ohio Census Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1810 (destroyed), 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Richland County, Ohio Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Vital Records
- Birth Records: from 1908 to present
- Marriage Records: None. See County Probate Court.
- Death Records: from 1954 to present
- Divorce Records: None. See County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas.
- Locations: Ohio Office of Vital Statistics, Ohio Local Health Departments
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Richland County, Ohio Resources
- State of Ohio Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Ohio
- Richland County Chapter, OGS
- Richland-Shelby Chapter, OGS
- Richland County Historical Society, 310 Springmill St, Mansfield, OH 44903; Phone: (419) 524-0831
- Ohio Genealogical Society
- Bellville-Jefferson Township Historical Society
- Butler-Clearfork Valley Historical Society , PO Box 186, 43 Elm St, Butler, OH 44822-0186; Phone: (419) 989-1679
- Historic Preservation Commission Of Mansfield
- Plymouth Area Historical Society
- Shiloh Area Historical Society , 105 W Main St, Crestline, OH 448781445; Phone: (419) 683-1904
- Sons of the Union Vets, Camp #12, PO Box 545, Mansfield, OH 44901-0545; Phone: (419) 522-3318
- Richland County, Ohio Message Boards
- Richland County, Ohio Genealogy Forum
Richland County, Ohio External Links
- Richland Co., Ohio - FindaGrave
- Memorial manual of the Congregational Church, Mansfield, Ohio
- History of north central Ohio
- Richland County, Ohio Links - Cyndi's List
- Richland Co. OHGenweb
- Richland County Genealogy Queries
- Richland County, Ohio Ancestry Database Collections
- Ohio Military Records
- Mansfield, Ohio City Directory, 1883-84
- The Mansfield Telephone Company directory of Mansfield, Adario, Bellville, Butler, Lexington and Shiloh